Instinct and Temperature Probe Falure

• The post is tofold reliance on technology and a question about probe problems or failures.
    I have an Igrill2 which I purchased prior to joining bbq forums in trolling for reviews and feedback. It was a journey of self learning and the feedback from Family and friends developing some self belief that it as actually good, so in short the Igrill was purchased to monitor temps, which it has done flawlessly until the weekend.
    Now this is where my reliance on technology and me not trusting my own instincts nearly destroyed a cook for our Bruce Rock, Rockingham and Perth family who travelled for a get together.
    So start of cook normal same process top up charcoal and lite with loofy, temp builds up, close vents half at 75c, put smoking wood and food at 95 shut vents to normal setting roughly on gap. Walk away for a bit come back busy getting ready for the day, too low temp Bluetoothed to phone open bottom vent a bit walk away, still to low, shake my head, go stand in front of the Dragon(no not the wife)with phone and app open with temp graph, temp on controler, temp gauge in some and hand held Taylor. It took a while for it to click that the Taylor dome temp gauge and my hand the cooker temp is too high DOH! Don't blindly follow the electronic temp thingy.
    Finally to my questions has any one else expirienced this type of epiphany during there BBQ journey and has anyone else had a temp probe failure?
    Or just a oh yeah moment they want to share?
    It went something like this
    :):(:sleeping:?(?(?(:huh:8o:cursing::thumbup:

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• I lost confidence of my GMG food probe and cheap Aldi back up after a couple of overcooked dinners. Thankfully not party meals but hey!
    I have been training myself to not focus on temp fluctuatIons, temps across the grill etc, this has made cooking on the DB a much more pleasurable experience than watching temp read outs like a hawk.
    Looking forward to using the Taylor probe and scan thermometer. Plan on setting the DB to the temp I want, let it stabilise then scan the cooking grill to see if I'm at the desired temp, if within the ball park, just probe the meat until IT is on the money.
    Got a couple of nice chicken breasts for tonight's dinner, scanning recipes now for how best to prep, will see how I go!

• So start of cook normal same process top up charcoal and lite with loofy, temp builds up, close vents half at 75c, put smoking wood and food at 95 shut vents to normal setting roughly on gap. Walk away for a bit come back busy getting ready for the day, too low temp Bluetoothed to phone open bottom vent a bit walk away, still to low, shake my head, go stand in front of the Dragon(no not the wife)with phone and app open with temp graph, temp on controler, temp gauge in some and hand held Taylor. It took a while for it to click that the Taylor dome temp gauge and my hand the cooker temp is too high DOH! Don't blindly follow the electronic temp thingy.

I'm having trouble following this, but I think the iGrill was reading differently to the Taylor and the Dome Gauge?
    Firstly, I never use the Dome gauge for anything but a quick visual temp check, when the BBQ is at the temp I want it, I turn the gauge so the needle is pointing vertical, this way a quick glance will tell me if it is over or under, I don't need to see the numbers.
    Have you tested the iGrill probe in Boiling Water to see if it is working properly?

• Hmm I've got the iGrill Mini, which uses the same probe as far as I know. No (known) issues with the temp reading yet, but just a matter of time I guess with a probe considering the environment they work in!

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• I'm having trouble following this, but I think the iGrill was reading differently to the Taylor and the Dome Gauge?Firstly, I never use the Dome gauge for anything but a quick visual temp check, when the BBQ is at the temp I want it, I turn the gauge so the needle is pointing vertical, this way a quick glance will tell me if it is over or under, I don't need to see the numbers.
    Have you tested the iGrill probe in Boiling Water to see if it is working properly?

Sorry it's a bit hard to follow but yes you are correct up until I was standing in front of the BNQ it was the Igrill temps bluetothed to my phone I was watching. Also the same temp was indicating on the master unit.
    I also only use the dome gauge as an indicator as well, so to fill in some blanks the Igrill temp probe was reading 105, dome gauge 145, surface temp of the meat from the Taylor 120 and sizzling ribs to the eye and hand all pointers for me the Igrill was not reading correctly. Took Ita while to click I was a bit slow that morning and so the lightbulb moment.
    Had it on last night 3 meat probes 23-24 stable readings on the kitchen bench and the ambient probe reasons between -1 and 4 continually fluctuating no need to try in boing water but did anyway and still about 20c out and taking ages to creep up.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!