Announcing the Smoke Fire and Food Competition Incubators BBQ Team and some guidelines

• With the idea of giving forum members a chance to have a go at Competition BBQ the Smoke Fire and Food admin team have come up with a bit of a plan. None of this is cast in stone but is meant to share how we see SFaF could help members to get a toe in the Competition scene.

Some guidelines of how we see it working..........................

We are going to put together a team under the SFaF banner, nothing too dramatic but we think there might be some interest from members who just want to have a bit of a go and some fun, a kind of BBQ Team incubator. The actual name is still under discussion and we will look for input from the team members.

We are planning on using this Team name as an ongoing thing to help get newbies exposed to competitions. we're hoping that having gained experience they will be encouraged to form their own teams for future events and make room for new blood to come through.

Any expenses will be the teams responsibility and we'd encourage team members to try to find sponsors as well which would be good practice for when they go on to form there own teams. Of course teams may be happy to just foot the costs themselves and this is perfectly acceptable.
    SFaF will try to assist with the costs of entering a BBQ Comp by hopefully attracting sponsors for the various needs of competing. These would include Entry Fees, Rubs, Meats, Fuels etc. Anything that we can find a sponsor for lessens the out of pocket expenses of the team and may make it a little easier for the team members to have a go.

Each time that a team is formed the members of that team will decide on how they want to run their team. EG all members may want to work with all meats cooked or may prefer to detail each member with specific tasks.

Obviously Teams and their members must not bring SFaF into disrepute by their actions. Teams will be in the public eye and under the SFaF banner and will be expected to behave in a proper manner. ( a good guide would be "If you wouldn't do or say it to your grandmother then it's out" )

There may be more guidelines that become apparent as we move along this BBQ journey and they can be implemented as needed but the above gives us a good start.

Cheers, Chris, Ian, Fab and Wayne

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• From the various threads and posts we have a few people that have held up their hands to join in on our first team.

We still have room for a few more to join in so if this interests you please post up.

Good on you guys :)

DRUMROLL........ HERE THEY ARE!

Participants

We are looking at fielding two teams in the Pork and Cider Festival Comp on the 5th and 6th of March in the Swan Valley. Each team can have up to 4 members and we'd look to take names of reserves in case someone needs to drop out.
    Once we have all the interested people together we will work out who is on which team etc.

The Smoke Fire and Food Admin team have agreed that the forum will sponsor the teams entry fees for this Competition

SmokingJ has offered us some of his selection of fine rubs to use. Please look him up here http://www.smokinj.com.au/

The Urban Griller has offered to open up BBQ School for a day of team training for both teams. http://urbangriller.com.au/

We are looking for more sponsors for BBQ fuel, Meats etc so if you know anyone that may like to come onboard please let us know.

Cheers, Wayne

• Is this just for the Pork & Cider Festival? Or Smokin in the City as well?

Hi Sue, The guidelines are what we will build the teams on for each competition as they come up and at the moment we are trying to get the Pork and Cider teams off the ground.

We have registered and paid the entry fees for a SFaF team with Smokin' in the City as well and will try to find sponsors etc as we go. I will start a new thread for Smokin with it's details. I have you down as being " Team Member Number 1 " for that event! :thumbup:

Cheers, Wayne

• Two teams, excellent. Still room for others to jump on board.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Do we know what facilities there are? Area for tent or camper trailer?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Two teams, excellent. Still room for others to jump on board.

Yes Wazza we can fit at least 2 more team members in and happy to take others as standbys in case someone can't make it on the day. Standbys will be able to come to the training day at BBQ School too. :)

Who's on which team can be decided once we know who's in. I think it'll really be up to you guys that are entering to work that bit out.

Cheers, Wayne

• is this just for perth only right?

Hiya Skuzy, No, not just for Perth. If we can get enough interest from members in other states we'll look at doing the same sort of thing. If you have any ideas on it flip me a Conversation/PM Love to see the idea spread around. The guidelines at the top are how we'd plan to operate. What we could actually supply would depend on what sponsors we could drum up for each Competition on the day.

Cheers, Wayne

• I still have lots to learn so will definately head up there and observe and happy to be rehydration wench if needed :thumbup:

Hey Lambshank and anyone else that's thinking about it. Jump on a team, you'll have a heap of fun, free entry to the Pork and Cider Festival and a training day with Chris and the rest of the SFaF teams! Can't go wrong :thumbup:

Cheers, Wayne

• is this just for perth only right?

Yes, the plan would be that a SFaF incubator team could enter a Comp anywhere, we would still help with the Mentoring/Training and try to get sponsorship.

If there is a comp members would like to have a go at, we'll try to pull together a team, find the gear and whatever else needs to happen.

• OK, we have six, so two teams of three.

If we can get another couple of members interested we'd have two teams of four (max 4 in a team).

Familiarise yourselves with the ABA rules: ABA Competition Rules

We also need to get together a list of people who would like to be trained as Judges.

• We also need to get together a list of people who would like to be trained as Judges

Hi

I am happy to discuss what is involved with this. My only issue with this might be my taste buds. My missus and daughters tell me I over spice, over sauce and over smoke everything and question the subtelty of my taste buds.

If we have a practice get together I am happy to discuss what the process and skill sets involved to see if I suit.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!