Instant read thermometer

• I know the purists might say we should try and do without gadgets but I'm all for an electronic helping hand whenever it's available, plus I just can't resist a good gadget. This Maverick PT 100 gets a run when I'm doing a steak, cooking a roast, doing a pulled pork, chicken (especially chicken) and even gets a go when my wife is making yoghurt and we have to have an exact reading at 37c.

It's one accessory I'd buy again in a minute if it broke down. Other option which is just as good, some might say better, is the Thermapen.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I tend to use my Thermapen for times when I don't want to puncture the meat and keep a probe constantly inserted so the juices run out the hole.

The current version is the MK4. Thermapen Mk4

The earlier version which I have, there was two different models with the difference being that one was backlit and the other wasn't. The MK4 is backlit.

If you like colours the Thermapen has lots to chose from.
    If you like gadget features the Thermapen is pretty boring as it just measures the temperature quickly and accurately with very good battery life.
    It is simple to operate and well made.

The good is that it does what is does well.
    The bad is that it is a bit pricey.

• I love my Thermapen. It is by far my most used cooking gadget. Aside from cooking meat it also comes in very handy when making pizza dough. Another use I've found is as a reference for other thermometers, such as the cheap ones I have in my aquariums. Well worth the money.

• I'm now in the market for a good one of these, I got a cheap one that I got as part of BBQ School from @Urban Griller Thanks for that! It served me well, but now it's time to upgrade.

I'm thinking of getting a Thermopen Mk4 or the Taylor 9306N but I can't make my mind up.

The Thermopen has a better review on AmazingRibs.com and looks like it is more accurate, but I also like the idea of the infrared scanner that I could use for Pizza stones etc.

Thoughts???

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_…rs/taylor-9306n

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_…-thermapen-mk-4

• I got the Taylor from UG and couldn't be happier. Don't get hung up on reviews and one being more accurate, have a look here....Taylor Instant Thermometer (check out my post, no.6)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Buy both. Taylor for you and the Thermapen for the other half. The numerous Thermapen colour range will keep her happy for hours deciding which matches the kitchen linen to give you more free time "slaving" over the hot barbie with a beer.

On a more serious note. Both are good thermometers. Get the one which is easier to buy or if you like to get your hands all dirty while BBQing get the one that is easiest to clean.

From a different angle, the one that has the best battery life. The big list of gadgets aren't any good if the battery is flat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!