• Ok, so I thought I'd try to cook one of Costco's monster briskets. This one was 8.5Kgs!
    I quickly watched one of Franklin's videos about how to prepare the cut. Once I was actually doing it I made many mistakes which I guess are to be expected considering I'm a real brisket rookie.

The initial brisket had a few deep cuts on the underside, other than that it looked pretty much like Franklin's vids, but was incredibly fatty. I decided to cut lots of fat off it because it was mostly hard yucky looking fat. In doing so, the point and the flat almost came apart and I considered doing them separately, but I had no room due to the size of this thing. Also the point had a flap on top of it which I cut off to cook separately.
    Underside:

Top:

Flap:

Pile of shame:

In it goes:

Eleven hours later (no wrapping or any other interference):

The flap came out delish, crunchy bark, tender internal:

The point was amazing!

I can't believe I forgot to take a photo of the cut flat. Suffice to say that it was not too bad. Tender and with bark, but not as juicy as the point. Will be good in sandwiches with mayo or sauce.

This was my lunch today, brisket dog with chilean pebre on top:

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Thanks SB. I think there were almost 2Kgs in the fat pile of shame! I didn't weigh it though, but I'm sure it was more than 1Kg.

I didn't weight the finished goodies, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't around 5Kgs. I plan to vac seal most of it and freeze for later. I can't eat too much beef these days.

• Left overs, don't you hate that...... lol..... ;(

As when the weekend comes around, one always looks towards the next BBQ adventure, what will be qued and how, but in the back of the mind, we still have to get though and consume the last cook up :/

• Would u wrap next time? I've got a roll of Butcher paper waiting for this

I probably would if using butcher's paper or baking paper first and alfoil second.
    The bark was great, a nice crusty coating, but overall the flat lost a bit too much moisture for my liking (still good for beans, etc). Probably because I got rid of too much of that ugly hard fat. Normally I eat all the fat, but that stuff looked awful. Keep that in mind skuzy, the costco brisket is grain fed. It didn't look like the sort of meat I'd be willing to eat every day... good value though at $8 per Kg.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!