Pizza on the Akorn

• Dear Eggheads,

Time permitting was thinking of giving pizza a go on the new Akorn. Was thinking of leaving heat deflector in place, putting one stone on the grill and another on the upper grill. As for temps, was thinking 275-300c.

How do you guys setup/run your's for pizza?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I just use the deflector as a pizza stone on the grill. 300ish is good temp. I've run it hotter before but the bottom tends to overcook before the topping

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

• I played around with a few different set ups and getting the top and bottom done evenly is the issue. I ended up using those pizza trays with the holes in them and cooked the pizza on the top rack wi the the stone on the lower rack. Once cooked on top, I put the pizza on the stone but nit for long or it would burn. I found 250c to be the best all round temp and about 12-15 minutes to cook each one.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Deflector in stone on top. Temp ended up hitting about 350c. These were wheat based home made bases and they cooked well, ended up killing the second pizza as i left it for too long :cursing:

The wifes gluten free bases, home made too, didn't cook through properly at the high temps.

• Deflector in stone on top. Temp ended up hitting about 350c. These were wheat based home made bases and they cooked well, ended up killing the second pizza as i left it for too long :cursing:

The wifes gluten free bases, home made too, didn't cook through properly at the high temps.

I use 240-260C for pizza in me Kamado.

• I'd follow Silentbob's advice. If you're going for a traditional thin pizza then get the temp as high as it will go. At 350c your pizza should be ready in under 2 minutes. Only problem is you lose heat every time you open the lid.

• 300 -350 c works good for me on a pizza stone (I use the heat deflector) on top of the grill not down in heat deflector spot.

2 to 2.5 mins per pizza once stone is hot.

Ta

Ga

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Mistake I made last night:

Using the smoking stone as my pizza stone. It was just too thick to get heated through properly and my otherwise great pizza suffered from a poorly cooked base.

So I tend to think a stone needs a good 20 minutes or more at a high temperature to get things going.

• ^^^ I always put my stones in just after i light it and setup everything properly.

Akorn stone on the grill then a weber pizza stone on top of that. 350c - 400c and about 3 mins and bingo :

Prosscuito and blue chesse

• Hi

I also put the stone in when I light the Akorn. They take ages to get hot. The second or third pizza is always better than the first couple, but that is because we are gutses and don't wait.

Ta

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Yep never good to start cooking with a hungry Hord hovering around the BBQ but for 3-4 mins each it doesnt take long to get 3 or 4 pizzas out

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Hi

I also put the stone in when I light the Akorn. They take ages to get hot. The second or third pizza is always better than the first couple, but that is because we are gutses and don't wait.

Ta

Grant from Grass Valley

Try this for fast hot heat.

1) Put in a full load of fast burn charcoal into the firebox. Make sure it is new and not been used before. Re-used charcoal takes longer to start-up and has a lower top temp
    2) Open vents full.
    3) Use the looftighter and set at least 3 charcoal areas alight. This will provide lots of heat fast
    4) Insert deflector in normal lower position on the mounts in the Akorn.
    5) Place grill grates on the main grate and pizza stone on the grill grates. The grill grates help "focus" the heat into the pizza stone but not too much to burn the base
    6) If your Akorn is not running near 600F or above in 30 min there is a problem.
    7) Flour dust the pizza stone. Pizza should cook in less than 5 minutes without burning the base. "pizza favolosa!"

• A two day slow ferment, robot turds heated to 600f, and a simple pizza stone on just the grill.

Could have (should have) used the larger stone in the deflector position, as the crust caught a bit. About 2 minutes for each pizza.

The dough was a simple 500g flour, 2T oil, 1tsp yeast and 70% hydration. I used that for two crusts but three would have been better.

The best bit though was getting my 4 yo to help me make the pizza.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!