Port Macquarie Barbecue Wars 2016

• Port Mac kicks off this weekend. Around 80 ( oops 94! ) teams from around Australia competing in what's become Australias prime BBQ event

I think Cardshark and Hogsy are heading down there, Is anyone else from here going? Be great to see some pics as it all unfolds over the weekend. Maybe even a periscope or two?

Jan and I would love to get over there one of these days but work always seems to get in the way for us. Maybe next year we'll manage it. ( seems to be our theme atm || )

Cheers, Wayne

From the ABA's webpage ... http://ausbbq.com.au/event/2016-australian-barbecue-wars/

This is by far Australia’s biggest ever barbecue competitions with 94 teamsalready booked to compete. This event is also one of, if not the biggest barbecue competitions outside of the USA.
    Set in paradise, aka – Port Macquarie on the1st & 2nd April 2016 on the Town Green and grounds of the Sundowner Tourist Park, this event has gained the reputation for being the Mecca of competition barbecue in Australia.
    Most teams come for the atmosphere, the chance at claiming the prestige that comes with taking a placing in any category in arguably the highest quality field of competitors and not least for the amazing atmosphere on the banks of the beautiful Hastings River.
    The prize pool for this years’ Vic’s Meats Australian BBQ Wars is over $10,000!
    The 6 Hand in Categories are:
    Chicken, Pork, Beef, Pork Ribs, Lamb & Chef’s Choice.
    For more information check out the event website at:
    http://www.bluesandbbq.com.au

• Date: April 1, 2016 - April 2, 2016

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Wow, 94 teams, that's huge. Imgine the chaos at the hand in table with that many teams trying to hand in during the 10 min window, and how many judges are required?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Results are in for Port Mac.

Take a pound out of the till Jay, Adam and the rest of the ABA crew with over 80 teams competing it must have been a blast of a weekend!

Congratulations to the Winners of each category and to the Grand Champions "Double Barrel BBQ" with "The Meat Sweats" as Reserve Grand Champions

http://ausbbq.com.au/vics-meat-mark…-barbecue-wars/

• Official Post

The Meat Sweats have an amazing track record in competition BBQ. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• 84 teams competed. Extremely successful couple of days!

Terrific gesture "Weber Kettle Club" for the competitors free feed for on Friday night. Thank you Hogsy, Golly and Co.

Post from Adam Roberts at the ABA yesterday on Facebook follows:-

Some Fun Facts from the Vic's Australian Barbecue Wars.
    14,940 judges scoresheet data fields entered within 6 hours - processed by 3 volunteers. (Pictured)
    Full results processed, sorted, tie-broken and available within 1 hour of the last hand-in box being judged.
    84 Teams competing, current record.
    85 Judges judging, current record.
    All 84 Judges (1 substitute) sat all 6 hand-ins and were on time to each round, every round. (Awesome work Judges - big respect.)
    The quickest judging processing times to date in any ABA Sanctioned Comp. All boxes judged within 3 minutes (2 categories within 1 minute) of the close of the hand-in window. Average of 7 boxes judged/scored per minute.
    6 hand-ins on the same day completed within 5 hours - the current record.
    3 hand-in tables, quickest box ID processing per minute to date - 1 box processed every 9 seconds - per round, on average.
    13 volunteers in the ABA Comp Crew supporting this event - the largest ABA single event support crew to date. (Thanks Jay, Jess, Sally, Kevin, Mickey, Gorana, Mike, Jesse, Demi, Kristy, Louise, Greg & Darren - amazing effort.)
    Full Results in hard copy print outs handed out at the conclusion of the presentation ceremony - first time ever. (Might have set a precedent there - may not be available in all comps due to logistics and locations - but we'll try to replicate.)
    Full Results on http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3…4ay1xB7JGr4&s=1 within 1 hour of the presentation ceremony.
    First all-Aussie all-girl Team (The Shank Sistas) to compete in an ABA Sanctioned comp.
    The most first-time teams to any single ABA Sanctioned Comp.
    All Teams individual scores breakdowns collated for each category ready to send to teams within 1 hour of the last hand-in box to be judged. (Will start emailing these on request to Team Captains from Monday morning. Request via adam@ausbbq.com.au )
    2 years of trial and error, continuous improvement and thousands of collective ABA volunteer hours coming together to produce what can be argued quite confidently as a world-class competition system - which is also fully unique and not a copied system.
    Thanks again to Promoters Jay Beaumont & Simon Luke for showing confidence in the ABA to Sanction 'the big one' again this year. Hoping you'll have us back to do even better next year.

• What make it unique to other Competitions?

Bentley wrote "which is also fully unique and not a copied system."

The obvious one viewing from here is the lack of social and electronic media integration for US BBQ comps. Haven't seen a promo video or team teasers in the USA BEFORE an event like here, even the Royal or Jack. (excuse me if there are). Credit to those few teams and the occasional comp promoter who have discovered Periscope and share their competition experiences to the world live.

Talking comps Bent, In the meat category section, did the US copy lamb from here? And is seafood included in any stateside to count as GC?... Without doubt our heritage in this form of cooking comes mostly from the US. Lots of folks like it and it's becoming more popular as we evolve.

As a competitor to cherry pick one from my previous post quoting Adam Roberts, I like the ABA quick turn around times now for boxes getting to the judges while hot. Lots more there to like too. Things can only get better. CS
    :thumbup:

Edited once, last by Card Shark (April 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM).

• I appreciate you taking the time to respond...I hope I did not push any buttons, was just curious...

The American Royal and many smaller competitions have used Social Media and their own websites to promote events over here for many years, but maybe you are referring to something else...Pelletheads.com has had live Webcasts from their site at the American Royal since 2010...

As far as Lamb and Seafood, no, our competitions do not include either entry in the overall score for a Grand Championship, so that is very unique to the ABA in relation to KCBS, FBS or IBCA...but I have seen both Lamb and Seafood in Anything Butt entries as far back as 2003 here in the States...

The obvious one viewing from here is the lack of social and electronic media integration for US BBQ comps. Credit to those few teams and the occasional comp promoter who have discovered Periscope and share their competition experiences to the world live.

Talking comps Bent, In the meat category section, did the US copy lamb from here? And is seafood included in any stateside to count as GC?...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!