• Currently have a lamb shoulder cooking away on the kettle via the snake method, using a few chunks of macadamia wood early on. I prepped the lamb by cutting a lot of the excess fat off so I hope that wasn't a bad move and it dries out. I wasn't sure if I should wait until it was cooked to cut off the excess.

I have been basting every hour with Urban Griller's lamb baste recipie. It has been on since 7 am and at last check was low 80 degC internal so will start checking for tenderness soon. Intending to foil and towel in esky once done.

This has been the longest cook I've attempted on my kettle and starting to be able to pick the vent settings between bastings to get temp back to where I want it. Not bad for a $200 knock off Weber;). I wish I had my 733 which I am allowed to open next week and peservering with a single channel iGrill Mini and a metal meat thermometer.

I was thinking lamb tacos last last night but might try and carve some and whip up some roast veg later. Tacos can be tomorrow for an easy dinner.

Snake ready to go, using macadamia chunks. Chunk in the currently empty water pan went onto the lit section of the fuse later. It was hours into the cook before I saw the third smoke hit appear so will bunch them up tighter next time. I've kept the water pan fullish and the excess baste seems to kept its level up a bit too

Trimmed lamb shoulder. Did I overdo it?

Baste bubbling away.

A couple hours in.

Temps staying pretty stable. Much better than my rib attempts... Hopefully the lamb is better than the shiners I cooked too :)

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Came off at 93 deg at 330pm. Meat probe pushing through like butter. Foiled, covered in baste and fresh mint and rosemary. Will rest it until a bit after 5 when veg done. Fingers crossed it isn't a disaster or we will be getting pizza...

• Don't think you have much to worry about there warewolf, I can practically taste it from here. :yum)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Beautiful taste, visible smoke ring and flavour, barely needed to chew. Ruined my view of lamb leg though... Can't believe I've never tried shoulder!

After resting with fresh mint and rosemary from garden.

Melt in your mouth good. 3yr old said this is the best meat I've ever eaten in the whole world. Ha-ha

Edited 2 times, last by werewolf (May 3, 2016 at 6:35 AM).

• ^haha. Should I have left the fat on to start with?

Also not sure while I have a duplicate picture in my previous post...

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

• Ruined my view of lamb leg though... Can't believe I've never tried shoulder!

Ahh, another one who has seen the light. For me, lamb shoulder is the most underrated cut out there. Mutton is even better.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Official Post

Also not sure while I have a duplicate picture in my previous post...

Have a look at the attachments.....You have uploaded that pic twice, two pics have been inserted as thumbnails (try inserting the full image, the forum is smart, it will resize them to fit). Anything not inserted appears as a link/thumb

• You inspired me WW, I have a deboned lamb shoulder in the Akorn as we speak, it's just about done.

Smoked with a mix of GMG fruitwood pellets and some Jack Daniels whisky barrels.

• Good tip. We had tacos tonight to use up the left overs

Hi

Look for some Masa Harina (found mine at Mt Lawley Fresh). You can make your tortillas yourself and they are great. Use them as soft tacos.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Sorry, but I wont be putting up any pics of my cook, go with warewolf's, he did it properly.

I broke the golden rule and thought I could cook to time, and not cook to the meat. Had to bring temp of akorn up to do so, dried out the meat. It was still just ok, barely, but really not what it should have been.

Funny how even when we know are doing it wrong we still do it anyway.

• Mt Lawley Fresh provisions (not the IGA) usually have it, but it takes a bit of finding.

Next time I am down I will look and report back here.

TA

GA

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• The igrill mini is certainly handy for that. Just be very mindful that Bluetooth range in the real world is a lot less than claimed in the product spec. If my weber is on the deck it's fine, but if it is downstairs I can't connect to the transmitter upstairs if I'm in the house. The graph has certainly been handy as a beginner, but I find I can get too focused on the blow by blow temp instead of keeping the average temp in the target zone.

I'm actually getting a Mav ET-733 soon. Looking forward to being free of the phone!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!