Wood chunks on Charcoal

• Hi all when I read your explanations on how best to run an offset BBQ ( Radar Hill Texas Pro Pit ) that sort of thing, It is said that to have a small hot fire with a bed of hot coals as your base, and then adding small pieces of wood so that they catch and burn quick, which in the explanation is so you get a good steady blue smoke going no thick white smoke makes sense.
    So my Question is, does the same principals apply in a charcoal burner like my ProQ? Get the wood burning quick to get that whisper of blue smoke going. When I add my chunks i find they smolder and put out to much smoke,I mostly use the minion method and place chunks around the unburnt coals, should I be adding my chunks to the hottest part of my burning coals to get the chucks to burn and possible smoke less? Rather than adding chunks around my coals, hoping to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance
    Mick

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• Official Post

Hi Mick,

An offset operates by burning wood, ProQ, kettle, gas etc work with smouldering wood, and the smoke is different from smouldering wood, it can be dense white and bitter if you are not careful.

To counteract this in a ProQ/WSM mix the wood into the fuel, this way the smoke from the smouldering wood passes through the lit fuel and more of the volatiles are burnt off. Also choose light, low acid (Sweet) smoke like Banksia, Grape, Fruitwood etc, Hickory is usually too strong.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!