Early morning start

• Got up at 4am but it was pretty wet and windy so stayed in bed until it died down at 4:30 then lit the Tri-Fire.

The fat cap on the brisket was pretty thick. Ended up chopping off about 1kg of fat before I got bored and decided to throw it on the smoker at about 6am. About 1 hour behind schedule but not bad.

Then it was on to the pork shoulder. My usual butcher wasn't about when I popped by on my lunch break yesterday so nipped into spud shed and got a 2.9kg shouldershoulder. Not use to cryovac pork and it had a bit of a sulphur pong but a quick rinse and all was good.

Trimmed off the skin. Injected, rubbed and joined it's beefy friend on the offset at about 7:30am. Now to wait 10 - 12 hours and enjoy :D

Got about 15 people to feed tonight

• Swapped them around as the pork wasn't getting enough heat down the far end of the offset and figured the flat would be happier with the lower temp.

Actually cooking quicker than I expected. Should be done before guests arrive at 6pm.

• It's not going to be my best brisket. I had it a bit close to the back of the chamber so the side near that wall has dried out a bit and the point is well ahead of the flat which isn't too bad.

Both are wrapped now. Got some pics just before I wrapped. Can't promise I'll get the money shots at the end as it will be a bit hectic with so many people but will try.

• Looks great, but my invite seems to have been lost in the mail..... 8o

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The meat ended up being a winner with all the guests. The flat was a little dry towards the front but got much better as I got closer to the point.

Pork was a big hit too but in all the madness I didn't get a photo of the finished pork.

• So it seemed a waste to throw away that 1kg of brisket fat... So I minced it and spent a few hours rendering it down on the stove. I then strained it into a bowl and let it solidify in a fridge. Took it out and checked the base for any impurities that had snuck through but it looked clean so I reheated it and poured it into ice trays and put that in the freezer. I've now got a little bag of tallow blocks inside my freezer door plus a little bit in a container in the fridge that wouldn't fit in the tray :)

Edited once, last by SilentBoB (June 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!