Group Buy Melbourne

• Hi all was just wondering how many Melbournians do we have? I am thinking not that many, Would any of us be interested in a group buy?
    How does it work for you West Aliens? Do you buy direct from Cape Grim? Or is there a distributor involved? How many people does it take
    to make it worth while? From reading the threads You guys in the West seem happy, and are getting some great meat,
    Is the group buy thing working because you can not source the meat easily, there are shops around Melbourne we can buy from all be it a bit pricey,
    Would be interesting to see if it could work down here, I am not sure if there are enough of us though Lets see :dunno:

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• You freeze it first I have read somewhere it tenderizes it some one might correct me if I am wrong

Nice.

Have an 8 kg Costco brisket in the fridge I'm planning on doing on the weekend. With only 6 adults to feed, though, I think I'll chop it down the middle and freeze half of it for another time.

Kamado Joe Series III - Weber Genesis - Aldi/Hark smoker

• The issue I see with a group buy is not having a cool room like Chris does in WA. getting them delivered to one location and then having to store the meat before each parcel is collected could be a problem. i already see messages in WA about people trying to arrange times to collect etc. I don't have the facility.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Nice.
    Have an 8 kg Costco brisket in the fridge I'm planning on doing on the weekend. With only 6 adults to feed, though, I think I'll chop it down the middle and freeze half of it for another time.

Why not cook the whole beast and vacuum seal the left over goodness Having some cooked Q in the freezer for that rainy day :cheers:

• The issue I see with a group buy is not having a cool room like Chris does in WA. getting them delivered to one location and then having to store the meat before each parcel is collected could be a problem. i already see messages in WA about people trying to arrange times to collect etc. I don't have the facility.

Maybe you are right and we have access to cape grim through outlets around Melbourne

• Just my take, the big group buys the forum does is a big logistical challenge but if you keep things simple it's not so bad. Myself and two other locals split boxes reguarly. I'll pick it up on my way through Perth then they drop over for pick ups. The most I've done is two boxes so fridge space is ok. Keep it simple to start with, I just do brisket and ribs. 3 to a box works good.

• Maybe you are right and we have access to cape grim through outlets around Melbourne

I'm lucky enough to have one of these outlets (Berties) within walking distance of work.

However, I've never been able to reliably get CG ribs from them, and am hoping a group buy would allow a better price per kilo for the brisket. They currently charge $20/kg, and while I don't bemoan paying top dollar for top quality, I would prefer to keep the money in my own wallet.

Kamado Joe Series III - Weber Genesis - Aldi/Hark smoker

• I'm lucky enough to have one of these outlets (Berties) within walking distance of work.
    However, I've never been able to reliably get CG ribs from them, and am hoping a group buy would allow a better price per kilo for the brisket. They currently charge $20/kg, and while I don't bemoan paying top dollar for top quality, I would prefer to keep the money in my own wallet.

I work near a Bertie's and it does seem to be hit and miss as whether they have what you want at one time. Simply Free Range used to sell some CG ribs for a good price but I think that stopped when the butcher at the time moved on. :(

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Official Post

I've picked up Cape Grim at the Sth Melbourne market.

I'm lucky, I have Russell at The Basin Butchers.....don't need to source Cape Grim when his stuff is superb. I prefer to support the locals if I can, as long as the quality is there. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!