Aaron Franklin Brisket

• Hi All,

It has been a long time since my last post (new daughter) and really she has been taking up most of my free time. This weekend however was different. We have a long weekend and I have also taken some extra time off so I thought it was about time I fired up the big green egg for a cook.
    I really wanted to cook some Beef short Ribs but there were none available at my butcher so I decided I would try my hand at a brisket (not my preference) but wanted to do something low and slow and really something to test the skills as I have heard they are not the easiest cuts to cook from my Old Man (Gumb).

After a bit of research online, I stumbled upon the Aaron Franklin method of cooking the brisket, and I thought it might be something you all would like me to share, its relatively simple and easy to prepare - I didn't have the best cut of Brisket as i wanted only something small and one end didn't have any fat on it, so it dried out - the rest was super - see some info below.

I rubbed a thin layer of american mustard over the meat to help the rub stick, the rub was made with just salt and pepper (50/50 mix) i used course ground peper and seasalt flakes but i feel though cooking salt or Kosher salt would be best, i did this 1 hour before i started cooking and let the meat get to room temperatute

I fired up the Big Green Egg (needs new gasket as you can probably tell) and had some cherry wood for smoking (Egg was set to 275F)

I had a water pan in there as well to help retain the moisture of the meat, once the meat hit 175F I took it out and wrapped it in butcher paper and put back into the egg and cooked further till internal temperature of 203F

Once it hit 203F I removed from the Egg and let it rest for another hour (45 mins would be fine), it was still wrapped in the butcher paper.

Once rested, it was time to carve and enjoy.

As you can see it was very moist and tender, the pieces on the top right were a little dry (this was the part of the meat with no fat layer - so it was too be expected)

We served dinner with some chips and a side of coleslaw, not a bad way to spend a sunday night. This was my first attempt at cooking a Brisket and I was pretty happy with it. it wasn't perfect but i am sure with a little more practice it will get there. I dont have a lot of time for the Egg, but I really enjoy it when I can. Anyhow, not sure If any of you had heard of the Aaron Franklin method, but there it is in a nutshell - any questions let me know.

Hope you enjoy.

Hughesie (Son of Gumb)

• That's sweet man. Well done.

Aaron Franklin is a champ, and his enthusiasm is contagious. If he suggests something - it's definitely worth listening to and trying out... Glad the butchers paper work out for you. Good stuff!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!