Lamb shoulder slow cooked in the kamado

• I visited my butcher mate Russell yesterday and picked up a nice lamb shoulder which is now sitting in the kamado at 105c under the control of the reliable Wang QMaster. I've added some apple wood and a couple of chucks of yellow box which Terry from AussieBbq Smoke says is great for lamb. It went in at 10.30 so I'm hoping for pulled lamb for dinner. It's over 2kg but not too thick.

And while I was there, I asked Russ if he had any pork belly...............well, he sure did !

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

5 hours in to the cook and the lamb is sitting on 78c. I've got the temp probe from the QMaster and another from the Maverick both reading the same so that's a big plus for the Wang version. It's been holding the pit at 105 all day too and it's bloody cold and windy outside. The kamado is full of Aussie BBQ Smoke redgum charcoal. Looking forward to dinner with some roast spuds.

With those wires and gadgets hanging off it, the kamado looks like a patient on life support.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

Nice purple Wang!

Yeah, it's cool. :D Don't you just love all the coloured buttons too.

6 hours now and looking good.

• Official Post

Without sounding like I'm bragging...this turned out awesome ! ^^ I took it out at 92c (8 hours) and I gave it a poke test with a skewer and felt little resistance. I rested it for only about 40 minutes as the spuds were finishing off and would have preferred longer but timing all the food isn't that easy. :shrug:

Anyway, no carving knife needed, just two forks, and some Lamb Sauce mixed in which I picked up at the last BBQ event here in Melbourne. If you see this stuff anywhere, buy a bottle, it's great.

Can't wait for lunch tomorrow :D

• Gumb, don't ever apologise for a great cook mate, nothing wrong with bragging rights when you nail it!
    Looks wonderful, well done :cheers:

• Official Post

Gumb, don't ever apologise for a great cook mate

Ok, I won't :D

• looks sensational !

havent tried lamb shoulder yet.... we use it for traditional bbq not low n slow... and find theres a fair bit of fat running through this cut of meat... any issues with this for low n slow? or do you cut a fair bit of this out before cooking"?

• Official Post

No, I didn't trim it at all. The fat gives it flavour but it's not over the top fatty. :thumbup:

• interesting that you didn't trim it. My last shoulder had a big fat cap over the top. I left it on and it peeled off easily once cooked. It kept it nice and most on top.

Maybe that's what you get from Colesworth though... fat.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• I think the butcher gave it a bit of a trim though.

I had left overs in bread for lunch today.....tasted great. :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!