• ok after a tonne of reading and watching youtube clips i have decided to go for a pellet grill.

Unfortunately i liked the look of a rec tec but appears it is not available in aus .

So that leaves me with the dilemma of GMG or traeger.

I can get a traeger at BBQ's galore or a GMG at BBQs & more for the same price. So i guess taking the price out of it which 1 would be the better choice. Traeger texas pro or GMG daniel boone?

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Official Post

Talk to Urban Griller about the GMG. I had one here as a demo for about 12 months and it was a bloody nice cooker. Just not enough room here to keep it amongst all my other toys. The new update for wifi control would seal the deal for me over a Traeger.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• No, you can direct sear on the GMG easily and Chris had a video somewhere to prove it. But that's not what a pellet grill is for. If you just want to sear a steak, do it on charcoal in a kamado or fire up the Weber Q for a great steak in quick time. It's slow cooking and higher temp roasting with the cooker in total control of the temperature that you buy a pellet cooker for.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• No, you can direct sear on the GMG easily and Chris had a video somewhere to prove it. But that's not what a pellet grill is for. If you just want to sear a steak, do it on charcoal in a kamado or fire up the Weber Q for a great steak in quick time. It's slow cooking and higher temp roasting with the cooker in total control of the temperature that you buy a pellet cooker for.

Yep got my searing options covered. Looking for low n slow and the higher temp roasting other than my fire pit and camp oven.

• Isn't the Traeger Texas pro significantly larger?

to be honest narm i have not seen the traeger in person, i was only going off what bbq galore told me was the comparison. They are getting them in in august nationwide but were taking orders. I didnt order until i spoke to the SFaF crew.

I have seen the daniel boone though and got a little excited. Having a demonstration on it on sunday.

• Re the searing, it's the ability to sear a steak directly over wood that isn't available with charcoal etc which is great
    I know I can taste the difference

But otherwise do agree re the benefits for roasting and low slow, so easy just to set and forget

• Ive just made a deposit on a GMG from @Urban Griller. I too searched the web and all i did was confuse myself. In the end, i decided a local dealer, whose customer service is second to none, with experience on a GMG and a 2 year warranty from the GMG themselves made my mind up...

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Re the searing, it's the ability to sear a steak directly over wood that isn't available with charcoal etc which is great
    I know I can taste the difference

No argument from me there :thumb up: I often use the fire box on the Hark Tri Fire when I want that wood burn flavour. :)

• There are a couple of differences between the way the Treager and GMG operate.

The Traeger pellet grill has a background timing which is customisable by setting the duration of the pause between the auger duty cycle (15 seconds) turning off and starting again.

Once the temperature drops 3 °C from the target, the background timing turns off and pellets are delivered full time until the temperature reaches the target, then it the background timing kicks back in. The combustion fan in a Traeger runs all the time at a constant speed.

The trick is for the operator to adjust the background timing so it does not overload the fire crucible and over shoot the set temperature, it should be just enough to hold temperature, or not quite enough so the temperature is constantly fluctuating down 3 degrees and back to the set temperature. The Traeger cannot tell if it is over temperature, it only responds to dropping under the set point, so you need to get the background timing right, and that changes for each temperature you are wanting to run......It can be tricky, but if you like to fiddle and can get your head around the process, its a good Pellet Grill!

In a GMG pellet grill, the combustion fan and Auger delivery of pellets is constantly minutely varied to maintain the temperature within 2 °C of the target.The combustion fan could run solidly, be off, or just “puff” periodically, the delivery of pellets is varied the same way, the controller adjusts the fan speed/puff timing and the pellet delivery second by second.

The GMG is completely automatic, no fiddling is required, the GMG knows if it is under temperature or over temperature and adjusts it's operation to bring itself back to temperature.
    The GMG has an integrated food temperature probe and has WiFi control, and that is a different world, you can programme sequence into the cooking profile that you like based on time or the meat temperature. It also has a higher lid, so if you are stacking up or standing turkeys up, the capacity is greater.

Regards
    Chris

• Well, a subject I can at least weigh in on. I bought my 1st Traeger 075 in 2002, won my 1st BBQ Grand Championship on it 8 months later...bought my 2nd 075 in 2004...won my 2nd GC with 2 of them in 2006....Make no mistake, they are good pits!

Sold both my Traegers by 2009. Bought my 1st Daniel Boone in 2009, 2nd in 2010 and won my 3rd GC on my 1st DB in North Carolina in 2012. For me the GMG is a better pit. More barrel area and higher lid, higher grate temperatures, MUCH more consistence temperatures both in +- fluctuation, front to back temps and side to side. WiFi if you are into that, I have no smart phones, so it is no draw for me...but many dig it!

It would take awhile, but my Traeger would get close to 500°. My DB's will hit 525° grate temperature in 15 minutes and will sear just about anything any other gas, charcoal, or ceramic will...and it uses 100% Hardwood to do it...The flavor is 2nd to none. GMG was much more efficient with pellet consumption also due to the variable combustion fans!

If I can help with any other question I would be happy to!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• everyone has been fantastic and very informative.

Going for a demo taste test tomorrow, taking the wife and kids and providing i am happy with it i will grab the GMG.

Read somewhere that should always try the food off a pellet grill before purchasing one.

• I've got a Traeger, and have used my brother's GMG a bit too.

I've only had the timing overshoot temp once, that was the second time I used it. Since then it pretty much sits on P4 and I have never had an issue since. I do occasionally play with the timing if I am trying to run a bit lower temp, and you have reasonable control doing this, but with the GMG there is no mucking around, just set temp and walk away.

One day I might even upgrade the controller on it. Love my Traegar, will never get rid of it, but if I was buying new right now, I'd go GMG.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!