Pork belly on the Weber Q in 40 minutes

• Official Post

It's so bloody cold outside tonight I decided to try pork belly on the Weber Q using a set of grill grates. I had it uncovere sitting in the fridge for. A few hours in some hoisin sauce, but only on the bottom, no sauce on the skin because I want crackle.

So to cook it, I let the Q get up to about 230c and placed the belly skin side down to try and get a nice crackle....

Then I flipped it over after about 20 minutes with the crackle already crisp and added a roasting rack to lift the belly off the grates so it didn't cook too fast. 20 minutes later and the internal was about 65c so off it came to rest while the wife did the stir fry veggies.

It was thinly sliced and absolutely perfect with crunchy crackle and a moist and tender belly. Very happy and will definitely do it that way a again.

And then a bit more hoisin and plum sauce mix on top

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• No trimming involved. The secret to the crackle is to not only have it hot but also to let the juices run off which is why I had it upside down initially. I got that idea from Urban Griller when he did a belly in a kamado and had it on its side resting on a stand so the juices ran off. And when it's cooked, don't wrap it all in foil, just wrap the meat part, otherwise it will go soft again.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

interesting.. have not considered pork belly in my gmg..

got any tips there Chris?

I just ran my GMg at 180C I raised the centre of the belly up on some small cast iron pots so the fat would run off. Or you can do the same as Gumb in the OP, skin down to start but make sure you set it up to drain the fat.

I assume the smoke is the reason the crackle developed such a deep caramelly colour? :bbq:

Yes, the smoke taints the skin....but it tastes awesome!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!