Lamb shoulder in the kamado

• Got a nice 3kg bone in lamb shoulder last week from a good butcher (not Woolies or Coles :roll eyes: ) so i thought spending the day over some redgum lump and a combination of yellow box and apple wood might turn it in to something delicious :bbq:

Put in at 10.30am with updates as we go through the day.

Setting the fire with lots of applewood chunks and a lone yellow box chunk. Then on she goes.

Smoking away and being looked after by my good friend Mr Wang.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Time for a quick check at the 90 minute mark......also added some more apple wood through the chip feeder along the way.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• That's a great setup Gum! I love the temp box as well. Does it beep if things go awry? Do you get your wood chunks from the backyard or a vendor? I know Bunnings has those little wood chip boxes but they're not the same.

Joel

• Does it beep if things go awry?

It has alarms in it which can be set to go off if the pit drops too low or goes too high but you'd need to be standing next to the thing to hear them so as far as waking you up on an overnight cook, forget it. I have a Maverick ET 732 for overnighters and the receiver sits next to the bed so that's my wake up alarm if things go bad. Having said that, the Wang has never let me down in that regard, it holds things steady as long as there's fuel in the pit.

Do you get your wood chunks from the backyard or a vendor? I know Bunnings has those little wood chip boxes but they're not the same.

Those steel boxes are a waste of time I reckon. You can wrap chips in foil with a few holes in it just as easily. I cut down an old apple tree last year so i've got apple wood until I die. I get other smoking woods like cherry, grape, yellow box etc and my charcoal from Terry at Aussie BBQ Smoke in Carrum Downs.

• so at the 5 hour mark things look like this.......

• 7 hours down and slowly getting there. Still offering some resistance to my skewer. I'm watching for a bit of pull back on that bone at the front.

I know some people change the thermometer in their pit for a better model but I can't fault mine. Check it out compared to the Wang.

• Well, it ended OK although the temp didn't want to move off 84c for the last two hours. It felt soft on the probe and there was some pull back on the bone, and the spuds were done so i took a punt and wrapped it up. It stood for about 20 minutes before the carve up revealed a nice clean shoulder blade. Served with roast spuds and pumpkin in the Weber Q with some other green stuff my wife put on the plate. So all up, it was in the kamado for almost 9 hours. Watch the bone come away near the end.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The board is flat but my house is on an angle.

• Just be carful when using the thermapen that you don't open the lid too often to check. It will be fine to use but one sitting in the meat is definitely an advantage.

• When I smoke tulkey, always use Wood chips for smoking. It's fully satisfy me, but want to try some ones, please advise me smth new.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!