Roast Smoked Duck

• Roast night at home, and duck it was. Wire rack into the baking dish, duck on rack, into the Akorn with banksia cones, cooked at around 150.

Sorry, meant to take a pic before carving but forgot. Here is a pic after carving which does now show off just how good the colour was. The combination of banksia smoke and a couple of star anise in the ducks cavity made the most yummy gravy.

An added bonus was pouring off the duck fat to make the gravy, this is not just duck fat my friends, it's smoked duck fat. Not sure what I am going to use it for yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something - in the mean time I'm happy for suggestions on the best way to use smoked duck fat.

Only problem was the kids completely demolished it all, not even a scrap of gravy was left for me for the next day. Note to self: go back in time and have less kids.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Gorgeous...
    Nice work Wazza :clap:
    And i reckon that smokey duck fat would be fab to roast spuds with.

• I'm drooling....I love duck. :clap:

And I agree with the comment about the smoked duck fat. First thing I thought was roast spuds.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hmmmm............. Smoked Duckfat................ Beef and Beer Cop coming up .................. Lamb dish open to you discretion..............Hmmmmmmm................... :thumbup:

Thought had crossed my mind.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Edited once, last by Wazza (August 12, 2016 at 1:36 PM).

• That looks fantastic! :yum) The smokey duck fat could be used for cooking a tray of veges :nana:
    Serious question about the smokey duck fat: Do you think it could work and add a good dimension to french toast? (replacing it for the butter).

• That looks fantastic! :yum) The smokey duck fat could be used for cooking a tray of veges :nana:
    Serious question about the smokey duck fat: Do you think it could work and add a good dimension to french toast? (replacing it for the butter).

You're becoming a bit of a worry Narm. I asked for suggestions on what to do with liquid gold and you come back with veges and toast...????? :D

I don't see why it wouldn't work for french toast, a nice bit of brioche would go quite crunchy I would have thought with duck fat.

• Veggies are ok with duck. Try some of the Chinese fungus, bamboo shoots, button mushrooms etc. Don't forget truffles is a veggie. Duck is a strong flavoured meat and veggies can lighten the flavour for people who find it too over powering, especially if they usually eat chicken. Talking about duck try salted or pickled duck eggs for something different.

• You're becoming a bit of a worry Narm. I asked for suggestions on what to do with liquid gold and you come back with veges and toast...?????

They are both things I like and this forum needs more fibre :D

• and this forum needs more fibre :D

I genuinely LOL'd at that one. I fear you may be correct, but especially more so after a comp practice session at BBQ school.

• I genuinely LOL'd at that one. I fear you may be correct, but especially more so after a comp practice session at BBQ school.

I saw you had Celery here yesterday Wazza! And there would have been grain used in Ali's beer...that's fibre!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!