Knives Tongs and other stuff like this

• One of my favourite BBQ accessories is the chinese chopper.
    It is great for hacking into legs of meat, dicing carrots and celery and basically chopping the crap out of anything

Not to be mistaken by this type of chopper. This is what I would like to have, BUT...

Classic retro movie.

• Picked up these on my trip to Japan a couple of months ago. The top and bottom knives were gifts from the girlfriend's grandmother. Local knifemaker in her village which has been making knives for over 100 years. They are basically the same, just one has more of a traditional handle and the other has a western handle. They get used for the general knife work in the kitchen.

The middle one is a Deba I picked up while in Osaka. Mainly use it for the bigger jobs like cutting up chickens. Learned my mistake of using it hungover though... almost lost a thumb :/

• Getting some decent knives has been on my 'to do' list for a long time. I must start looking into some options.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I have been toying with the idea of getting a few good Japanese knives.
    Got into the google search and found that it isn't as simple as I thought.
    I'm left handed, so if selecting a single ground knife, I need a left handed one. Then type of steel..
    Very hard, hard to sharpen but hold an edge longer.
    Care of the knives, easy for me, the wife on the other hand has buggered a few of my current knifes!
    Any advice welcome!

• Care of the knives, easy for me, the wife on the other hand has buggered a few of my current knifes!
    Any advice welcome!

The advice on which would be the best knife I hope will come from ozymandius, but in relations to the quoted bit above, What I've done is created MY draw in the kitchen. I store my Japanese knives in there, each wrapped in a tea towel.

• I have a chef, utility and boning knife of reasonable quality, when I saw my lovely wife cutting food with the chef knife on a plate I went and bought her her own set of knives.
    Despite evidence to the contrary, she steadfastly denies using my knives!!
    Should I invest in some quality Japanese steel, a locked box would best suit I think!

• You can get Japanese knives that are beveled on both sides. General chef knives, or Gyoto's can be used by left handers if they are beveled 50/50, however some makers opt for a 70/30 bevel. You can always get out the sharpening stones though and redo the edge yourself so it's 50/50.

As for single bevel knives for left handers they are a bit harder to track down. I'm a big fan of holding a knife before I buy it but I got my Deba from these guys in Osaka and they are pretty helpful - http://www.towerknives.com/

They might be able to help you track down some left handed knives and they charge you the same as they would in store and what ever it costs for them to ship it to Oz. If anyone ends up in Osaka they are worth a visit. They don't mind people just popping in for a chat and a sticky beak but it's hard to leave without buying something :P They have a table set up with a bunch of vege that you can demo knives on.

My knives have been holding their edge pretty well. They are carbon steel so won't blunt as quickly as stainless but require a bit more attention. You always have to clean them immediately and wipe the dry straight away. I normally have a tea towel attached to my waist as I cook so wipe my knives as I go as well. Then again I've only been using them for two months.

As Narm Naleg said, ozymandius will probably be along at some point to provide a bit better info. He has a lot more history with Japanese steel than I do :D

• I got some Japanese knives a while back ordered from
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/
    They tell you what are good for right or left hand use, etc.
    Plus the price is good & the delivery fantastic.

This is an awesome site. So many choices.

What sets have people been buying?

-------------------------------------------------

Takeshi Saji
    Traditional Forge-smith & Craftsman, Takeshi Saji was born in 1948 in another knife City, Takefu of Fukui Prefecture, where is famous for 700 years history of the Echizen Uchi-Hamono (Hammer Forged Knives).
    After graduating junior high-school, he has learned basic forging process and technique for 3 years at the local Blacksmith Training School. He has then engaged in knife making at the age of 18 under the strict supervision of his master & father, Harukichi Saji, the second generation. At the age of 30, he was told by his master that there is nothing more to teach him, and allowed to make his own knives as a succession of the third generation. In 1992, he was certified “Traditional Craftsmen” by M.I.T.I.

With his over 45 years of knife making experience, technique and unique idea&design, his original and traditional forged custom knives are well recognized in Japanese market, and now he is one of most well-known and popular Forge-Craftsmen from Takefu City.
    As you see many of Saji Custom Hunting Knife collections on our another web site JKD, his knives are always unique and have the traditional taste.
    Since 3 or 4 years ago, Master Saji has been devoting more time and energy for making custom kitchen knives. With his originality and ingenuity, his selections are gradually expanded. Like his Custom Hunting Knife Collections, each of Saji Custom Kitchen Knives has unique looks and characteristics.

Also, Saji Custom Hammer Forged Kitchen Knives have high hardness, powerful looks and beauty. Plus, Master Saji’s unique idea and design makes completely different tastes from other existing factory made knives.
    Harmony of tradition and sensational design, wide selections of Saji kitchen knives are now available!!

• Official Post

What sets have people been buying?

My favourite knife, which I use for just about everything, is the Honesuki from this series: http://japanesechefsknife.com/VGSeries.html#VGSeries

• Well I had an awesome day today. Visited one of the famous knife,tool making areas of Kansai,Japan a place called Miki City.
    Went to the forge of a 4th generation knife/tool maker a Mr Shigeki Tanaka. Who has been making knives for 22 years since he was 17.
    This guy really is what Japanese craftspeople are all about,great skill level but so humble. No bullshit but super friendly.
    Ended up buying five knives from him but could have bought a few more.

This piece of steel will be used to make a knife for carving tuna in half

• Four of the five knives I bought.
    Top meat slicer blade
    Second Japanese Style veggie knife
    General purpose knife
    Pairing knife

Love the patterns on this new brisket slicing weapon. Folded 8 times,16 time folded ones were out of my price range lol

• Colmando the big meat knife (Gyuto) cost me 20000yen. Just shy of $300.
    Smaller ones around a $100 each,buying from the maker saved me a shit load.
    But his top end stuff was upwards of $1000 Aus a blade. I really appreciated the craftsmanship,art and down to earth way this guys family operate.
    Throwing cash down on the tray of of a suzuki mightyboy truck with heaps of knives was classic.

• Colmando the big meat knife (Gyuto) cost me 20000yen. Just shy of $300.
    Smaller ones around a $100 each,buying from the maker saved me a shit load.
    And I really appreciated the craftsmanship,art and down to earth way this guys family operate.
    Throwing cash down on the tray of of a suzuki mightyboy truck with heaps of knives was classic.

Super jealous. Was there in 2007 and absolute loved the place..

That's a lot cheaper than I thought they would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!