Knives Tongs and other stuff like this

• What? you were at Tanaka sans forge then or Japan?
    I have lived on and off in Japan since 1998 and have seen a lot change. The main one is Japan used to be expensive and Australia was cheap. Now it's the opposite.
    I speak the lingo fairly well so I get away with a bit when it comes to bartering.

Edited 2 times, last by Grillnoob (September 28, 2016 at 8:20 AM).

• What? you were at Tanaka sans forge then or Japan?
    I have lived on and off in Japan since 1998 and have seen a lot change. The main one is Japan used to be expensive and Australia was cheap. Now it's the opposite.
    I speak the lingo fairly well so I get away with a bit when it comes to bartering.

Just Japan, should go back soon..

When we were there we were getting 100 yen to the dollar, accommodation was pricey was food and drink was cheap and great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

• Time for some new knives. So while I would love to be in a position to commission some custom knives from a Japanese master craftsman, it's just not going to happen.

I also would like to avoid spending any cash if possible, so I had a look on the Qantas site where I do have a few points. Choice seems to be Furi, Global or Scanpan. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've not actually held any yet so that could change the equation, some may feel right, some may not - getting a knife that works for you can be a personal thing, but I thought I'd ask for comments and thoughts before I went in to a store and actually held them.

Furi are priced right for the points I have. Global are a bit expensive and I would need to add some cash, but may consider this if they are that much better. Scanpan, are they in the same league as there other two?

Now, the global sets don't have a 20cm carving knife, but they do have a 20cm cooks knife. Furi have the 20cm carving knife, but instead of a 20cm cooks knife, they have a 17cm East West Santoku knife, see video below (not sure how much Kylie Kwong was paid for this?).

A 20cm cooks knife is my go to, has anyone tried these Santoku knives. I guess I could always add a 20cm or even 25cm chefs knife later and continue to use the 20cm chefs knife I already have.

http://www.scanpan.com.au/products/view/…-eclipse-block:

http://furiglobal.com/nz/furi-pro-wo…k-set-6-piece-0

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I have a Furi santoku but I'm not impressed with it. Too soft.

Global have a huge range of knives from very expensive and very good to lightweight which is what I think these might be. I bought some for a friend who seems to like them and has had them for ages. They're never as sharp as I like to keep my knives

I've never used any scanpan knives.

My 30 year old 26cm Wusthof Trident is the best all rounder I have. I have a MAC of the same size which is better for fish and vegetables. I have some smaller Shun blades which I like but are really hard and only have a 12 degree angle so need practice and work to stay sharp.

I don't like block sets, to many thinks I don't need. We really only need a very good cooks knife and a paring knife to do pretty much everything. When I travel I take the Wusthof, a Victorinox disposable paring knife and a ceramic steel and that's it.

• Wazza how much ya wanna spend?and what type of knife do you want,fish,meat or vegetable?

I actually don't want to spend anything, hence I am looking at Qantas points.

95% would be chopping meat and vegetables, and carving. I have a knife I use as a boning knife already. A 20cm Chefs knife is kinda my go to, but some smaller utility knives do get a run at times.

Ideally I only want to spend around 70 000 points, give or take a bit. My knives are quite old and weren't that great to begin with, luckily I'm not to bad with a stone and steel so I have kept them serviceable. So am now thinking these will be an upgrade on what I have. Here is what's on offer at the Qantas store:

https://store.qantas.com/Catalogue.a2?p…items=25&sort=0

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The father-in-law has that global set so I have used them a fair bit, they are quality, though from memory the knife they were told to use as the carving knife has a serrated edge...

But they have had them for well over 5 years and they are still as good as the day they got them.

Smite The Shepherd And The Sheep Will Be Scattered!

• Hey Wazz, I have a pair of Furi knives ( chefs and veggie ) if you'd like to try them out for a while, might help you decide?

Thanks Wayne, might take you up on that.

Do you like them?

• i've had a global oriental chef knife i think it is? G18 or something - for about 15 years, maybe not quite.. i think it's great.. doesn't stay super sharp but i'm not disciplined enough to make it stay that sharp.. lightweight, i love the one piece knife thing..

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

• It was pointed out to me the Furi 6pc set is on sale in the qantas store, so it's actually not going to cost that much in points, so it's as close to free as you can get so given the low cost I've ordered it. It won't cost me a cent in term of real $$$.

• Hi GN. The team here are happy to see group buys set up by forum members so feel free mate. Whack as much info in as you can on prices,delivery fee's and timeframes so people know what to expect.
    If you put the catalogue and price list in a new thread under " Group Buy " that would be the right spot for it. Yell out if we can help with anything else.

Looking forward to seeing some pretty pics :)

Cheers, Wayne

• I have both of these sets and I love my Scanpan the most. It's has great weight and balance and there is no mistaking you have a great tool in your hand. The other is easier to keep sharp so it gets a lot of day to day work. The Furi feel much lighter and so the balance doesn't matter much but does a great job. That's all I can tell you but I hope that helps.

scanpan.com.au/products/view/461/8-piece-eclipse-block:

furiglobal.com/nz/furi-pro-wood-knife-block-set-6-piece-0

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!