I love my Akorn or Dragon

• Does anybody who owns the akorn think it is unstable or likely to tip over with only having the 3 legs?

Only time mine ever tipped over was when it fell off a kerb at lizzy quay just before the beer and beef festival, it is a stable little unit and I wheel mine around on paving all the time.

Smite The Shepherd And The Sheep Will Be Scattered!

• Only time mine ever tipped over was when it fell off a kerb at lizzy quay just before the beer and beef festival, it is a stable little unit and I wheel mine around on paving all the time.

I own a ceramic Kamado and bought the Akorn as I wanted one I could move around without worrying it cracking from movement. If the ceramic fell over like 3x0du5's Akorn it would be Humpty Dumpty.

• thanks fellas. I went to Bunnings to have a look at the one on display and it was wonky as hell. maybe it was the way they put it together.

I got a big dopey dog and 2 inquisitive kids which I was concerned about going near the cooker. was weighing up the akorn vs dragon for sturdiness.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Hi

I would only worry if you were riding it down the hill like a billy cart. Mine is fully stable. In fact less likely to fall over than the Weber. You do have to remember to lock the back wheel or it does tend to take off.

If Bunnings put it together I would pull it apart and put it together again.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Hi

I would only worry if you were riding it down the hill like a billy cart. Mine is fully stable. In fact less likely to fall over than the Weber. You do have to remember to lock the back wheel or it does tend to take off.

If Bunnings put it together I would pull it apart and put it together again.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

I think it was Gumb who posted a photo of an Akorn put together by Bunnings. No more needed to be said. Totally agree with Grant that I wouldn't buy one assembled and would prefer to do it yourself even if you were the worse DIYer on the planet.

• Hi @Swamptrout,

The Acorn is stable, easy to move with thew lid locked down and has reasonable quality wheels, if you are worried about tipping possible solution store something solid on the bottom shelf and lock or bolt it down this will keep the centre of gravity really low. Moving and transport it is a little more unstable with the 3 leg triangle shape design than the 4 wheel Dragon.

The Dragon Trolley is stable the wheels are really cheap thin plastic and don't handle turning while moving very well, they tend to deform and the weak as piss little spring clip holding the wheels onto the shaft is going to cause me problems sometime.

The Ceramic Kamado trolley and wheels are excellent but moving around a heavy unit is not ideal but easy to take apart for transport with 2 people just fraught with danger.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Hi @Swamptrout,

The Acorn is stable, easy to move with the lid locked down and has reasonable quality wheels, if you are worried about tipping possible solution store something solid on the bottom shelf and lock or bolt it down this will keep the centre of gravity really low. Moving and transport it is a little more unstable with the 3 leg triangle shape design than the 4 wheel Dragon.

The Dragon Trolley is stable the wheels are really cheap thin plastic and don't handle turning while moving very well, they tend to deform and the weak as piss little spring clip holding the wheels onto the shaft is going to cause me problems sometime.

thx @BBQ Smoke answered the questions i had perfectly. Off to grab the akorn tonight. Day off work tomorrow will have me assembling, seasoning and cooking up a feast for the wife and kids

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Well done. Looking forward to pics of the new toy fired up. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Just spoke to thew Wench about this.... She could have been nicer about her opinions ;(

Good on you :thumbup: I'll get there yet.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Bought a Dragon last week, went together quite well!
    Started with some thick Porterhouses, great taste!

Roasting a pork loin tomorrow.

Smoking some pork ribs next week.

Enter the Dragon!

Do or do not, there is no try

Dragon Kamado, Weber Performer, Z&B Triple Grill

• The Dragon breathes fire and smoke!

Pork loin was great, smokey and moist! Crackle did not crackle though, maybe not enough heat but a minute or so in the griller fixed that.

Though she breathes too well.

Got a couple of leaks to fix, certainly around the chimney and inlet. Could never get it to hold temp.

I shut her down at about 3pm today and at 7pm it was reading 150 degrees on the temp gauge - not that they are accurate.

Even now it is registering 50 degrees!

• I'm going to replace the gaskets and seal the intake and chimney anyway.

Control, control, you must learn control! said Yoda to Luke as I now say to my Dragon!

I figure the seal kit and unit itself is such a small investment in comparison to KJ's, BGE's etc that Im still 'in front'.

One could argue it will become a custom rig.... ;)

At bare minimum it's good content for barby talk when the fella's are over.

Edited once, last by Bonesy (April 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM).

• Hi

Cook flat out for a few weeks before you start replacing bits I reckon. The gunk fills a lot more than you think. After using it for a while you will see if there are any leaks that aren't responding to the gunk.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!