Wood Fired Pizza at 400C... Is it really possible in a kettle or kamado?

• An alternative I used was to buy a mobile tool cabinet which is the perfect size and gives me drawers for storing all my BBQ tools etc.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep, it sits behind the cafe blind out of the weather and then I just roll it out when it's time to light it up.

One aspect we haven't talked much about is it's ability to do a roast. I put a duck in there and it was really good. They supply you a roasting dish with it so I need to get that happening a bit more. Just way too many BBQs at the moment, I think one has to go, but it won't be the Max.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I had another look on my PC (I was on my phone before) and thought I'd clarify the above. If you go and inspect one of the Wildcat models, make sure the dome is not too high. For baking bread you want a high dome and lots of heat retention in brickwork, etc. For Neapolitan pizza you want a low dome so that the top of the pizza cooks evenly with the bottom.

Booooo!

I want the best of both worlds!

• Gumb has baked great looking bread in his maximus.

and burnt some too ;(

• Pizza in my Dragon requires a deflector and a pizza stone. If the pizza stone is direct above the fire it gets too hot and burns the base pronto, no matter how high it is. I use a KJ Divide and Conquer (very thick) deflector and a cheapo pizza stone and vents fully open with a big fire.

Because the deflector is right above the fire it gets real hot and stores and re-radiates that heat around really well so opening and closing the lid doesn't make much difference. And because the pizza stone isn't directly above the fire you get an even cook top and bottom. I find 350C+ is consistently achievable with this method and vents open but it's hot work! My pizzas are done in around 70-90 seconds which is good enough for me. I don't get too fancy with ultra thin pastry and high strength flour etc - just cooking for the family rather than Master Chef judges!

Haven't heard any complaints - only comments, between mouthfuls, are on how much better it is than the oven version... 8)

Then I just close the vents and let the coals cool down a bit before I slip a loaf of bread in. The remaining heat always bakes it perfectly, just by leaving the vents shut!

• Well guys, I pulled the trigger! Decided to get the powder coated trolley as well. Just have to try and be patient waiting for delivery now... I'll post some pics once of some cooks once I get it cured.

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Good move ! :clap: and welcome to Club Maximus.

Now, just be patient when it arrives and go easy on the temps until it's well seasoned. I had it running on a low temp and couldn't resist putting a bit of steek in there at the same time. You could do a chook like that, just to get it out of your system. ^^ On a trivet with foil protecting the base or even in the casserole dish. You'll find it gets up to temp very fast if the fire is too big so take your time. It will go up quicker with the door shut too. but once it's got a nice bed of coals, and some heat in to the body, you'll be surprised how well it holds the temps.

• Cool bananas! You might have it for the weekend?
    Get some dough going and fridge it ;)

I would be surprised if I get it that quickly, I'm in Tassie...

I think I'll put a dough in the fridge on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get the oven on Wednesday cure it Wednesday night and we'll be having pizza by Thursday!

• cure it Wednesday night and we'll be having pizza by Thursday!

I'd be curing it longer than that.

• Oh, Giuseppe said 4-6 hours. What would you suggest?

That should be ok. From your post I was thinking you'd only do one 2 hour cook. But just take the longer of the options, so 6 would be good, the longer the better, just to be safe. Mine has cracked around the top of the door and it did that very early on. There's no downside to that apart from the look but I guess the expansion has to go somewhere and that's a weak point, like a door jamb at home.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!