• Hi guys got a pork belly for tomorrow's cook! I have never been a fan of it, but the wife loves it! Ok was gonna do it in the Akron but with us in Adelaide and the crazy weather it will be in the weber performer now! My problem is i can cook a perfect Pork Leg, shoulder etc but cant do a belly perfect!!! No crackling good meat, good crackling and over cooked meat! Seen on youtube to put belly on top of veggies in a pan with apple juice etc! Any ideas? Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Slice the skin thinly and most important...find a way to stand it on it's side (or at least on a good angle) with the slits vertical so the juices are free to run off the skin. (You will need to find something to lean it against).
    That's an idea Urban Griller posted some time ago and works a treat.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• +1 the standing up / tilting of the belly. Also tried it after Urban Griller posted up about it, and letting the juices pour off the crackling without anything pooling on the skin does allow it to crisp up.

Given the difference in timezone hopefully this is not too late. I presume the belly is wrapped in plastic? If so trim the plastic so the skin is exposed to the dry air in the fridge but try to leave the meat covered. Over night the dry air of the fridge will take some of the moisture out of the skin, also helping it to crackle up (but try not to dry out meat, hence leaving it wrapped). Then tomorrow before cooking, salt the skin, allow it to draw more moisture out, paper towel off the pooled moisture, add a little more salt then cook up.

I'm guessing by now you are seeing a theme, want good crackle, get rid of moisture.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• +1 the standing up / tilting of the belly. Also tried it after Urban Griller posted up about it, and letting the juices pour off the crackling without anything pooling on the skin does allow it to crisp up.

Given the difference in timezone hopefully this is not too late. I presume the belly is wrapped in plastic? If so trim the plastic so the skin is exposed to the dry air in the fridge but try to leave the meat covered. Over night the dry air of the fridge will take some of the moisture out of the skin, also helping it to crackle up (but try not to dry out meat, hence leaving it wrapped). Then tomorrow before cooking, salt the skin, allow it to draw more moisture out, paper towel off the pooled moisture, add a little more salt then cook up.

I'm guessing by now you are seeing a theme, want good crackle, get rid of moisture.

+2 Remove moisture. I use combination of boiling water and fridge over night

I get best results with belly by cooking slowly until meat is soft and juicy then crank heat up high for a little bit to get the skin blistering.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• If you like a bit of Chinese style pork belly, leave it uncovered in the fridge as has been suggested but baste the bottom (not the fat on top) in a Char Siu sauce overnight. Yum.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!