Pork Belly on the Cobb

• My first go at the Cobb BBQ. I had no idea how hot it would get with a designated amount of fuel so I started with only 6 heat beads. They lit very easily inside the cooker using Samba natural cardboard type fire starters.

it took only 15 minutes for them to catch and ash over.

I placed the heat deflector in and then dome roof on top. Another 15 or so minutes and it was up to 200c.
    I used the thermometer from my Maximus Pizza oven the measure the internal temp and it worked a treat.

The temperature dropped significantly after the pork belly went it and didn't want to get much past 120c so I lit a couple more beads and placed them on top. It slowly rose back up but next time I'll start with more, particularly if the meat is a decent size. I think the small cooking space and uninsulated ss lid makes it susceptible to large temperature drops when cold meat gets added, much ,more so that in a bigger area or in a ceramic body like a kamado.

However, after an hour, the result was superb. I didn't get it to crackle but a short burst with a gas blow torch fixed that. The meat is the main game and it was tender and very juicy. The drip tray/deflector worked really well with the juices running down the slots and in to the mote, rather than on to the charcoal beads. I'm very happy with it and it will be bloody great out in the bush. Being able to pick it up and move it around, even when it's been running for an hour is terrific. It can sit on a timber table and the bottom is dead cold too.

It gets a big :thumb up:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• They look like a really handy portable charcoal BBQ for the camper or cooking in the park.

It looks like it can cook lots of things. Even pulled pork!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And it fits in the dishwasher!

true but last night I practiced washing it in the sink. I figured I'd better try that because we don't often take the dishwasher camping. :D

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!