Roast Pork in the New Ziggy

• Hi everyone,

As per recent discussions I have purchased a new triple burner ziggy as an upgrade from my weber q 2200. I have now cooked a few steaks etc on the BBQ and last night decided to put it through its paces and cook a roast in it. I thought I would post my results as it may help others in the future decide if they are interested in it.
    First of all, I have the baking and roasting tray attachment which was an extra but it certainly helped get the job done.

The Ziggy didn't take long to heat up at all only a couple of mins to reach my desired temperature of 200 degrees (I used all 3 burners to get it up to temperature). Once it got to temperature, the middle burner was turned off and the 2 side burners were turned nearly all the way down. KWhile it sat there for a couple of minutes I put all my meat on the tray rady to go in: I did some pork with some potato and pumpkin (I had forgot the carrot and couldn't find zucchini at the supermarket)

I was really surprised how well the Ziggy held its temperature, and it just sat there on 200 for a good 50 mins, and with about 10 mins to go I turned the burners to max and fired up the middle burner until the Ziggy his 250, at which point i turned the middle burner off. it held at 250 for the next 10 mins and from there i shut it all down as the roast was complete.

Very happy with the results and highly recommend the BBQ, that baking/roasting dish is a wonderful accessory too and highly recommended, as i just pulled out the whole tray with its handles once the dinner was ready.

The meat was tender and moist, and the crackling was nice and crispy. Hope this helps anyone who is contemplating a Ziggy - its really taken me by surprise and I really didn't think it could compete with the Weber Q, how wrong I was.

Hughesie

• I think that tray is a great addition and far better than a flat rack with foil under it like the Weber uses. Because it's a shallow pan you can use it in lots of different ways.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The tray was great, the design of it is great. I think the investment in it is certainly worthwhile. I don't have a hotplate for the BBQ (only use grill) but if i need a hotplate, i can just use that for some onions or something i suppose.

• Yeah they threw a couple of hot plates in with mine which I'm holding in reserve for bacon and eggs or onions as required but was tossing up on that tray, thanks for the feedback mate. Cooked steaks and roast lamb on mine this week and it's just awesome. Definitely a crowd pleaser at our place!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!