• Just thought it might be interesting to find out how you do wings, we all cook them, we all love them, I just came across a great chicken marinade here called road side chicken, and it was wow great, so there must be other wow great ways to do wings lets see yours :cheers:
    Mick

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• 20 minutes in the kamado at around 150c indirect. (I think ?( , it's been a long time since I've done them)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I like them over charcoal direct initially, then finished indirect. The time over the charcoal gives that lovely smokey flavour. Marinades can make it harder with the direct bit as they can burn quicker. We would have chicken like this 2-3 times a week, big family so it makes for a yummy but pretty cheap feed.

I've got some to do tonight so will take some pics of how I do it, question is do I use the charcoal grill or the Akorn? Decisions decisions.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Sorry Stein, my 12 yo son won. He wants to cook and he wants the charcoal grill. But I'll do chicken again tomorrow night and will take pics of the akorn.

It's pretty much already set up with all the charcoal at the front.

Pics to follow.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• When I am in a hurry I am a bit like @Wazza and don't mind getting some already marinaded eg honey soy and cook them on the Kamado.

I also buy the 2KG bags full of chicken wings and cook them all at once. They then up dinner plus lunch and snacks. I cook them au natural and add sauces eg chilli, bbq etc for flavour.

• Brine overnight. Dry them, season into the kettle bbq indirect for some smoke untill almost done. Then deep fry for extra crispness and toss in hot sauce.
    Thats the long way. Otherwise I marinade and vac seal till needed then on the Kettle, stand over them with beer in hand till done.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I use baking powder as well but also coat them with a bit of flour, salt, pepper, whatever else I fancy.

Helps give them a deepfried texture in the BBQ. Cook them with the deflector in up around 450f then give them a toss in your favourite hot sauce and serve with a blue cheese dip ;)

• My wife does a garlic and salt rub and then into the deep fryer, the kids fight over who can eat the most, crispy and yum but I have to say, this one thanks to Grant Grass Valley is a new favourite and winner and works great in the Akorn

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• hope its the Akorn :thumbup:

Ok, not chicken wings, but I'd do wings the same way, but I think I promised you some pics.

Akorn already had charcoal at the front from the last cook, so I just topped it up a bit after I took this pic.

So cooked directly initially before moving to indirect. This was taken just after I turned it for the first time.

Once it has the colour I want, it's moved to indirect, in this case the top rack moved to the back away from the coals. And the finished product.

Edited once, last by Wazza (November 11, 2016 at 9:25 PM).

• As for how I cook chicken wings. This is on the charcoal grill, area to the left doesn't have charcoal under the grill, so as wings are coloured nicely they are moved to the left to finish indirect. These cheap grills are great, keep an eye on gumtree.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Monday night dinner.
    Vac seal the day before with something like Hoisin sauce, sriracha, soy, honey, garlic & onion powder. Spring onions & sesame seads and a dash of sesame oil. That's about all I can remember and measure by feel.

Really happy with the flavour. Perhaps a little more hot sauce.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!