Pork Leg and Sticky Date Pudding

• The inlaws came around for dinner over the weekend, so perfect excuse for a cookup, despite the 37 degC SEQ weather! The menu was pork leg on the kettle and sticky date on the 3200. I struggled with getting the kettle above 216 degC initially so lost hope at crackle... It was a hot day so I thought kettle in the sun in the open would help, but decided after an hour of night quite hot enough I wheeled her across to a sheltered corner and the temp jumped up to a steady 240 degC :) Looks like wind trumps sun. Half an hour later with good crackle appearing I stopped down the dampers to cool her off for the rest of the cook. I didn't get 100% crackle (the lower "cooler" section didn't quite pop), but I was pretty happy. The meat was nice and tender and the inlaws smashed it. Same for the pudding :)

For the crackle, I took the packaging off and dried off the rind early in the morning, applied a light salt and put it back in the fridge. Twice (I think) during the day before cooking I wiped off the rising moisture with more paper towels and added another sprinkle of salt. Before cooking, I gave it a final dry, a very light rub with olive oil and then more salt.

Oh there was some veg in between there somewhere too, either cooked in the 3200 or on the kettle (straight on the grill of course).

Porky done

Crackle, after chef tasting, wife tasting and daughter tasting...

Big tray of meat

Pudding in

Pudding plated up

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!