• Hello everyone - We thought its probably best to actually join this forum as we see a fair bit of misinformation about our brand and products.

You can consider anything we post as the most accurate information about the Cape Grim Beef brand and in relation to our low 'n' slow products / specs etc.

We are not here to advertise - just to give people the info they need to make informed decisions.

Brand Info - Cape Grim Beef is sourced from 1200 (approx) farmers from the high rainfall areas of Tasmania, King Island & Flinders Island. We do not source cattle from the mainland. The cattle are predominantly ANGUS (80%) but will also include other British and Euro breeds like: Hereford, Devon, Murray Grey, Limousin, Belted Galloway, Charolais etc.. All farmers are different and have their preferences. We are only concerned that the cattle are British / Euro and that they grade at the highest level. (see MSA grading for more detail on this)

Claims - The beef is: 100% Grass fed (meaning zero grains EVER - vegetarian diet only), No added hormones (illegal in Tasmania), not fed GMO feed (illegal in Tasmania), No antibiotics ever and the cattle roam freely. Cattle are processed at between 24-36 months under a HACCP program as per Australian Standards. We do not process using HALAL methods. Unfortunately, due to OHS reasons, we cannot allow access for consumers to the Smithton plant. Please see http://www.capegrimbeef.com.au/certifications.html for more information on our certs. Greenham Tasmania is 100% Aussie owned and operated.

Products for Low n Slow: OX Brisket 4.5kg+, Ox Short Ribs 3 rib (2 racks per pack), YG Brisket -4.5kg, YG Short ribs (6 rib section - 1 per pack), Ox back ribs, Ox Tri-Tips, OP (Oven Prepared) Ribs = Bone in Rib Eyes - short bone length or Tomohawks = long bone length. Other products on request from your local retailer. We will explain more about products and specs and codes in another post.

Promotions - We have already got relationships with distributors, retailers and bbq teams in multiple states. Please do not be offended if we cannot accommodate requests for sponsorship. Through our distributors / retailers, we can supply various promotional / POS items if you are using our products and want some help.

That just about covers it - Feel free to ask questions and thanks for supporting the brand and Tasmanian Beef farmers. #lownslow #capegrimbeef

• Welcome to SFaF, thanks for joining and thanks for the information, all of us here love your product, if you take the time to look around you will quickly see that with the amount of cooks that have been done using Cape Grim Beef.

Smite The Shepherd And The Sheep Will Be Scattered!

• "Vegetable...any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food..."

I thought grains were considered vegetables.

I salute you on the no hormones...but I never got anyone (farmer, consumer, country) who has an issue with GMO's. Folks should read and study the research of Norman Ernest Borlaug.

So when an animal gets sick, your farmers simply cull it?

Welcome to the forum...not a fan of grass fed beef, but hope to try your product one day!

Claims - The beef is: 100% Grass fed (meaning zero grains EVER - vegetarian diet only).

No added hormones (illegal in Tasmania), not fed GMO feed (illegal in Tasmania), No antibiotics ever and the cattle roam freely.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• but I never got anyone (farmer, consumer, country) who has an issue with GMO's. Folks should read and study the research of Norman Ernest Borlaug.

I definitely have a few issues with it and happy to discuss them in a different thread. Also thanks for posting the info about Borlaug which I'll try and find/read.

• Bentley - FYI you will find quite a few people in Australia have issues with GMO. And grain feeding cattle for that matter. I don't want to discuss these issues in this thread other than to point out this is a different market to the US with different concerns.

I mainly wanted to thank the OP for both the information and the fantastic product. Best ribs ever by a country mile... and that comes from restaurant owners I have cooked for too... having lived in Tas and worked on Woolnorth I know this area well. Fantastic country! I can't imagine a better beef product...

• Welcome to SFaF Trevor, I can't imagine Cape Grim suffering from misinformation about the quality of your product.

There's lots of happy customers here in the forum that arrange buys in 3 or 4 states. The Ox Beef Ribs are terrific and a family favourite. The 6 rib Standing Rib has a big following amongst the members too. A lot of us cut them into individual steaks around the kilo mark and reverse sear them. The Ox brisket has been used by quite a few of us at home and in BBQ comps where it has done pretty well up against some fancy competition

Jan and I have travelled around the Cape Grim/Smithton area while we were in Tassie and seen those big black beasts just laying in knee high grass eating away. Don't think they even have to move much on that sort of pasture, certainly looked comfortable. Have to admit I was tempted to nick one of the CG signs from a farm gate but resisted the urge, would have looked good next to the BBQ. Hmmmmm............. maybe there's a market for them too? :)

Cheers, Wayne

• Would be interested if there is some kind of opportunity for SFaF members to buy your CG low and slow products at preferred pricing in Melbourne without individuals themselves having to arrange bulk buys for numerous members? Even if it is a particular butcher shop that is the SFaF approved outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I would like to say I am not trying to be confrontational. I took CGB at face value when they said to feel free to ask any questions. My goal is not to offend, but to gain knowledge.

I would very much like to get both of your thoughts and others...but this thread is not the place, with that I completely agree.

If anyone has an issue with my 1st post in here, please say so and I will gladly remove it. Or write a moderator and ask them to delete it. It will not offend me in the slightest!

I definitely have a few issues with it and happy to discuss them in a different thread.

Bentley - FYI you will find quite a few people in Australia have issues with GMO. And grain feeding cattle for that matter. I don't want to discuss these issues in this thread other than to point out this is a different market to the US with different concerns.

• I would like to say I am not trying to be confrontational.

I definitely didn't see anything wrong with your post Bentley, just thought the topic would be a worthy discussion deserving its own thread. I hope to learn more about the subject. Please accept my apologies if my post came across as harsh.

• Would be interested if there is some kind of opportunity for SFaF members to buy your CG low and slow products at preferred pricing in Melbourne without individuals themselves having to arrange bulk buys for numerous members? Even if it is a particular butcher shop that is the SFaF approved outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cape Grim have a list of suppliers on their website.

• Hello to all and thanks for the feedback and questions.

RE: buying Cape Grim low n slow products.. To be honest, its not ideal for us to push bbq people to one retailer / butcher as it would not be fair to all the butchers who stock our products and have supported the brand for the last 10 years. Butchers have different operating costs and models and we don't get involved in what they charge.

In the meat game - volume speaks - so talking to a butcher/ retailer and and negotiating a bulk price is best way to go to get the best deal.

Our website notes current stockists but you need to call them before going in to make sure they have / or can get what you need.

Bentley - point taken on definition of vegetarian fed - let's agree that we don't feed them grains ever and only ever raise all the cattle for Cape Grim on 100% Grass, Silage or Hay - (some of the farmers will also feed them on brassicas as well)

RE: GMOs - We don't want to enter into any debates on GMO vs GMO free.. We are just calling out the FACT that Tasmania is completely GMO free by law.

RE: Antibiotics - Cattle who do get sick and are administered antibiotics receive a RED eartag at the time. These cattle are not culled as this would be wasteful. The cattle and the meat are segregated so that they end up in our basic commodity brand and NOT Cape Grim Beef.

RE: Grass Fed Beef - Check out US Wellness Meats.. They have Cape Grim over there so you can try some. Cheers, CGB.

• Hot Dang! Time to do some internet searching! If I can find a source, do you have a cut recommendation for a Grain fed beef lover?

RE: Grass Fed Beef - Check out US Wellness Meats.. They have Cape Grim over there so you can try some. Cheers, CGB.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!