Hector Asado, Latin Bar and Grill – A project

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wazza wrote:

How much power are you going to need? Gas oven? Gas hot water system?
      I only have a wood oven and that will have a water jacket on the flue for hot water. I might be able to get away with just that but I doubt it so the smallest caravan gas heater.

I'd like to get a deep fryer too but I haven't worked out the work flow yet and space is at a premium

Haven't worked out what the minimum is but The big draw will be AC, cold prep bench and 300l fridge & bain marie. The lights are LED.
      I'm planning on not skimping on the generator and getting a Yamaha 7kWh pure sine wave jobbie. Bloody $5k but I feel it will be worth it.
    • Can anyone help me out here?

I have about 1300kg spare to build/fit/stock the Haus. So plenty to play with.

This is the design I've now decided on. It overcomes a heap of challenges with heat and space.

With the walls - I was planning on sandwich board panels but I realise that there's problems in running wiring through them. The builds I've looked at online including the one above are from conventional framing with cladding, insulation and lining. The latter is going to be heavier, especially if I use timber frame but I also believe it's going to be easier to build and fit out and stronger but it's likely to be more expensive too.

I'd have to line the inside with stainless sheet in any case and I like the look of old corrugated galvanised iron for the outside. Looks are important of course. I have no idea how to adequately build a sandwich panel version.

Thoughts from the hive mind?

Sliding barbeque - to get some space for the patio I'm going to slide the barbecue out when cooking, in when moving. I thought about using three sets of ultra heavy duty drawer slides but would rather have something stronger and built for purpose of allowing heavy shit to roll about 750mm. When it rolls out I can put a stabiliser prop underneath it for the duration. Any ideas of where to start looking for the slides?

cheers
    • It's no problem to run wiring in sandwich panel..... Many of the panels even come with inbuilt holes and channel for wiring.
      Check Stratcos website for an idea. There are at least 8 different manufacturers in Aus that I know of. All comes pre cut to exactly the length you want.
    • Ray C wrote:

maybe ask some questions at places that build camper trailers? They build roll out BBQs and sinks and the like...
      A heavy duty fridge slide which you can buy at the 4WD shops etc. Large portable fridges get up to 95L in size and are heavy when loaded so a slide for those might be enough ?
      Royal Kamado - Weber Kettle - Weber Q220 - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle BBQ - QMaster Senior Controller
    • Aluminium framing is used a lot for caravans. Pretty sure Jayco use Ali frames. Pinning and riviting so joins don't move could be tricky, what are you like at welding Ali?

Foam panels would be good if you can. What about running conduit for wiring?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - (reserved for future wood fired pizza oven)
    • Gumb wrote:

Ray C wrote:

maybe ask some questions at places that build camper trailers? They build roll out BBQs and sinks and the like...
      A heavy duty fridge slide which you can buy at the 4WD shops etc. Large portable fridges get up to 95L in size and are heavy when loaded so a slide for those might be enough ?
      I've got a pair of those for the generator which weighs in at 98kg and this was my first thought too. They go up to about 200kg for the distance I want to travel an I was thinking of getting a few pairs (the barbeque is ~800kg) and making a sliding floor. I think the load skate will do the job as it's one tonne per unit and I can get four for only $450 which is way cheaper than using drawer sliders.

Wazza wrote:

Aluminium framing is used a lot for caravans. Pretty sure Jayco use Ali frames. Pinning and riviting so joins don't move could be tricky, what are you like at welding Ali?

Foam panels would be good if you can. What about running conduit for wiring?
      I couldn't weld aluminium if my life depended on it. The biggest challenge with sandwich panel is going to be movement. I assume that furring channels will fix that but I want to use stainless sheet inside so that poses a problem with movement.

The challenge I have with sandwich panel is that I cannot picture how to do it whereas I know exactly how to do conventional framed construction. That's not to say that sandwich panel won't work, it's just difficult for me to understand how it will work. So far I haven't even been able to find some construction details on google which is surprising.

robcapp wrote:

It's no problem to run wiring in sandwich panel..... Many of the panels even come with inbuilt holes and channel for wiring.
      Check Stratcos website for an idea. There are at least 8 different manufacturers in Aus that I know of. All comes pre cut to exactly the length you want.

Rob, I could only find the roofing panels on Stratco, is that what you'r talking about? That would certainly do the job for the roof but I cant see how it works for a wall without a frame
    • I've not actually done it, so hopefully someone else will chime in. You can get the panels in big sizes as far as I know. So each side and roof would potentially be 1 piece, you cut out doors and windows etc.

HectorAsado wrote:

Is this before or after the 800kg BBQ?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - (reserved for future wood fired pizza oven)
    • Wazza wrote:

I've not actually done it, so hopefully someone else will chime in. You can get the panels in big sizes as far as I know. So each side and roof would potentially be 1 piece, you cut out doors and windows etc.

HectorAsado wrote:

Is this before or after the 800kg BBQ

~900kg for the trailer, 800kg for the barbecue (although I think it is less), leaves 1300kg as Colorado has 3000kg towing capacity.

robcapp wrote:

It actually doesn't need a frame mate. It just needs a support at each end. So essentially, an upright at each corner of the trailer. It's strong stuff, and the 50mm thick stuff will support about 90 kg in the middle.
      Looking at Wassa's pic and now leaning toward PVC wall lining which just glues to the wall, I think that the EPS panels are what I will probably go with. Plenty of time to change my mind