• So the wife picked up some Blackwood Valley Beef Ribs from the markets a couple months ago. We vacuum sealed and left them in the freezer until ready to cook. My birthday is coming up shortly, so I thought I might as well cook up a rack as an early birthday dinner on Saturday. Mindful of the last time I cooked the Coles ribs, I thought I would make sure I had plenty of time to get them done.

Fired up the Smokey Mountain, and loaded with 4 chunks of Hickory. Threw the ribs on at about 10.30am, with only a salt and pepper rub. Was aiming to keep the temperature between 110 and 122C, but the afternoon sun got onto it and temperature started to climb. It got to 140C before I rigged up some shadecloth on the side of my veranda to keep the direct sun of the smoker, and managed to get the temperature back down to 135C.

Wrapped the ribs at 1.30pm, and left them wrapped until about 4.15pm. Tested with my Thermapen, internal temperatures were about 93C, and the probe slid through with absolutely no effort at all. So I unwrapped for a final 30 minutes or so to try to set the bark a little bit more. Took them up just before 5pm and tented with foil on a chopping board to rest for a little while.

We were all very happy with them. Sliced beautifully between the ribs. The outside 2 ribs also fell out when I took it off the smoker. Overall, meat was very juicy and tender. Only thing is that they didn't have a real strong smoky flavour. It was subtle and very flavoursome, but not as strong as I can handle.

• Brillant colour mate and still juicy!

Oh yes. They were very juicy.

Nice job! If you ever get the chance (no rush or time restraints), cook them WITHOUT wrapping...

Yeah. I should. I just really didn't know how long they would actually take to cook.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• Nicely done. Yeah Beefies have a very rich flavour that does wash out some of the smokeyness.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• So I finally got the other rack of beef ribs that I had vacuum sealed in the freezer. Cooked them on Saturday, for 8 hours without wrapping. I finally got my temperature control dialled in better than I have in the past, managed to keep it between 115 and 120C for most of the cook without having to constantly fiddle with the airflow. Smoked using hickory chunks. Taste was good, and it was definitely very tender. There was a nice bark on the outside.

I didn't take any photos before putting it on the smoker, but I prepped by removing the membrane (first time I did this, but it was much easier than I expected and just peeled right off), and then sprinkled with salt and pepper.

First photo is about an hour in:

3 hours in:

6 hours in:

Finished (temperature was showing between 95C and 100C. I'm not sure if I maybe did it for a little bit long):

Overall I was quite happy with it. The bark may have been a little tough in some places, but it pulled off the bone easily enough with just a little resistance. Otherwise there was still a little more than a subtle smoky flavour, but the meat was tender and juicy.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Beef shorties are the go good effort they look nice Dazmaster only advice give them a spritz with apple cider vinegar when checking softens the bark a bit.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Oh that's a good idea. I didn't do anything this cook. Didn't open it anymore than those photos show. Only added water at the 4 hour mark through the side door. So I'll keep that in mind in the future.

• A before cook pic would be good. The "silverskin" on top of beefies will NOT breakdown. It stops flavour and smoke from penetrating. Beefies should 100% red meat on top...

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!