Are you ready Xmas test run Teriyaki Turkey

• Good to see you're enjoying cooking on your KJ.

Well first impressions carry the most weight and it's a bit like the lid. There are a few differences but in General every thing happens a little slower than in the Acorn and Dragon. Stability in temp is a big positive for the KJ and iam getting the hang of the time it takes to get to temp. The learnings from the steelies has helped a heap and not letting the temp over run is the most important technique to get the hang of for sure. The KJ does operate slightly different than the steelies and yet to harness the left over heat after cooking for decent bread etc but I'll get there.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Edited once, last by BBQ Smoke (November 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM).

• Good looking Bird,store bought teriyaki or did you make your own?

Store bought from the Chinese supermarket with some extra soy sauce, have had a go making my own once didn't have the time with the graduation on tonight it was a challenge.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Well first impressions carry the most weight and it's a bit like the lid. There are a few differences but in General every thing happens a little slower than in the Acorn and Dragon. Stability in temp is a big positive for the KJ and iam getting the hang of the time it takes to get to temp. The learnings from the steelies has helped a heap and not letting the temp over run is the most important technique to get the hang of for sure. The KJ does operate slightly different than the steelies and yet to harness the left over heat after cooking for decent bread etc but I'll get there.

To speed up the start-up people change the stock fire grate to a wire one like in the Akorn.

The stock fire grate is quite restrictive. I think they do it to stop people heating up the ceramic too fast. It is a simple mod to try out eg replace the grate with a round cake rack.

The way the KJ retains the heat in the dome is useful for baking and using the dome heat to cook from the top. Some people seem to like to for example to run the ceramic a little cooler with longer cook times for pizza to allow more of the heat from the dome to cook the toppings which is more like what happens in a pizza oven vs the raw heat from the fire below.

• To speed up the start-up people change the stock fire grate to a wire one like in the Akorn.

The stock fire grate is quite restrictive. I think they do it to stop people heating up the ceramic too fast. It is a simple mod to try out eg replace the grate with a round cake rack.

The way the KJ retains the heat in the dome is useful for baking and using the dome heat to cook from the top. Some people seem to like to for example to run the ceramic a little cooler with longer cook times for pizza to allow more of the heat from the dome to cook the toppings which is more like what happens in a pizza oven vs the raw heat from the fire below.

Hey 12X7 i tried tat and it did work but happy with the differences an keeping it similar to the original so its easier to compare thanks for the great advice.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!