• Getting late in the arvo Jan and I decided to crack open the bag of Cape Grim Tritip we'd got via The Urban Griller ( thanks Chris) Once opened we found that rather than the 2 piecres we were expecting there were four! 2 around the kilo mark and 2 around a half kilo. With only the two of us at home nowadays this suits us well as it gives us some flexibility in how much we cook.
    Tonight we opted to do a large piece with a sprinkle of salt and pepper over it and a small piece with a dust of Mad Hunky GP Rub.

All you non-gasser people please turn away now......................................

As time was getting on we decided to sear it off as per Brother Bentley s advice and got the Genesis cranked up to HOT. The Hark was set to 150C to take over for the last lap. In the end I decided to take the smaller piece all the way on the grill.
    I reckon it's time to stop rambling and ket you guys get on to the pics (We know that's why you're here)

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

The larger piece around 1kg

On and searing

The smaller piece sprinkled with MHGP

Flip time

Resting

Slicing

Plated up before the gravy hit the plate

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Looks great Wayne.

I know I am in danger if getting shouted down here, but gas bbq's still have their place. With a young family and often being time poor, I couldn't survive without one.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Looks great Wayne.

I know I am in danger if getting shouted down here, but gas bbq's still have their place. With a young family and often being time poor, I couldn't survive without one.

I agree Waz, I love my Weber Q and the Ziggy portable for the same reasons except I have a grown up family and I'm not time poor. I still love em though. ^^

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I agree Waz, I love my Weber Q and the Ziggy portable for the same reasons except I have a grown up family and I'm not time poor. I still love em though. ^^

Hey Wazza, I agree, We have an old Genesis that gets crazy hot and the BabyQ for quick cooks and the Hark gas smoker. We find that when we want to try something new, say adapting a recipe made to cook in an oven the gassers are a good first step to tweak it to bbqing. Once we work that out it's easy to adapt it to one of our solid fuel units. Jan and I have a couple of Kettles, a Kamado and a Bar-B-Chef offset which all get a run depending on what we're doing over the day. If I have time to sit around drinking beer the offset is great. The kettles always put out good bbq with minimal mucking about and I really have to spend a bit more time learning the Kamado.

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

• Hi
    My first go at tritip was drastically disappointing, but I got it better last night.

I followed UG's advice and set it up for reverse sear. Firstly, I put a home made Santa Maria rub on. Then I put it in the Akorn at 200f (on the Akorn's less than accurate thermometer). I left it in there until it got up to around 44c. I took it out and wrapped it in alfoil while the Akorn got up to 500f. I then seared it for about 4 minutes per side and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Before I put the rub on I checked the grain direction so I could remember where to cut it in half before carving. I think being exact about cutting across the grain was a major part of the improvement.

Anyway, I have one left from last order and I am now confident I can get a half decent feed out of it.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Served up a couple of reverse seared Cape Grim Tritips last night.
    Smoked gently up to 55c with some mesquite and water tray at 110c in the Kamado.
    My searing was a bit hot, it was about 350C and i had flames leaping about 1/2 meter from the grill due to the dripping fat, my wife started to fret. Maybe i need to drop the temp a bit or let the meat drip more before searing. Anyway it only took about a minute and apart from that drama the result was great, see photos

• Served up a couple of reverse seared Cape Grim Tritips last night.
    Smoked gently up to 55c with some mesquite and water tray at 110c in the Kamado.
    My searing was a bit hot, it was about 350C and i had flames leaping about 1/2 meter from the grill due to the dripping fat, my wife started to fret. Maybe i need to drop the temp a bit or let the meat drip more before searing. Anyway it only took about a minute and apart from that drama the result was great, see photos

looks the goods there, muttonbird.
    I love a bit of flame and charring as does the family, black is not a bad word in this household.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Hi

I used the Sous Vide approach last night. Made a Santa Maria Rub. I rubbed the two tri-tips, then Sous Vide for 1 hour 45 on 52c. By the time they came out the Akorn was revving away with the heat deflector taken out. I put them on the grill and turned them a few times until 55c in the middle. The meat was beautiful. I even cut it a bit thicker than I normally do Tri Tip as is was so tender and juicy.

This is a great cut. It seems as long as you sear then bring up to temp, reverse sear or sous vide then reverse sear it comes out beautiful. Some meats are more tender (especially when cut thick), but few more juicy.

That is all my Tri Tip used up till next CG buy. Got some chuck and rump to play with now. :bbq:

Ta

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Probably a silly question but do you mean mince it after its cooked or before its cooked?

Mince it before it's cooked. You can cut off a chunk for mincing and smoke the rest if you buy a large piece of chuck.

I've heard 50-50 chuck and brisket makes excellent burgers...

Yep, pretty popular combo in the states I think and @gusfacegrillah posted something recently online on that mix. I've never tried it though... I tend to cook the brisket whole in one hit. I need to pick up a small piece from Spud Shed and give it a go but would probably need to add a bit more fat from a prior brisket trip as the pre-cut flat at spud shed looks a bit lean.... The only problem is I tend to render down my left over beef fat into tallow and don't have any left in the freezer at the moment (likely a sign I'm not bbqing enough!)

I really should experiment with my burger patties a bit more. I just love a nice simple chuck patty :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!