• My missus' mothers group are all gathering at ours tomorrow for some Q and Booze.

I am just away now to put on a 5kg bone in pork shoulder, injected with apple pear juice and rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird, smoking in the kettle over Kingsford Applewood flavoured Briquettes.

Pre pic of the pork;

Quick side note, already super impressed with the Kingsford Briquettes, had the kettle up to 105c and fuse starting to light in around 30 minutes, that included getting the 6 or 7 going that I had in the chimney.

Stay tuned for more goodies as my journey unfolds.

Smite The Shepherd And The Sheep Will Be Scattered!

• So 5 hours in and the fuse is nearly all gone, can't believe the burn rate on these Kingsfords... to keep the cook going I will wrap the Pork and rebuild the fuse using Heat beads and let it cook away some more.

Update pic of the Pork (bonus pic of my staffy eating her breakfast in the background);

Got the Akorn coming up to temp with some Sandalwood branches in amongst the Charcoal, getting a lovely aroma through the smoke. Beef ribs have been dry brined and rubbed with Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub.

Pre-cook pic Beef Ribs;

• So I ended up taking the Beefies too far, I knew 10 hours would be pushing it but I had too many commitments during the day, but hey, no one other than me knew they were overcooked, everyone else just thought I cooked amazing pulled beef so :shrug:

Finished products pics...

So then I grilled some cacciatore on the grill grates to serve with a squeeze of lemon alongside the ABT's

And last cook of the day was the skin from the Pork Shoulder, turned that into some nice crackling;

• Hey @Swamptrout

Whilst the smoke flavour was lost on the pulled pork, I was so glad I did the ABT's with the Kingsford Hickory, they could have used another 45 to an hour for a bit better colour but the smoke flavour on the streaky bacon was absolutely divine and everybody raved about them, even those who were not into spicy foods. I used the minion method for them and maybe around 30 briquettes and that lasted about 2.5 hours.

Don't think I will be in a rush to use them in a fuse cook again though as 6.5 hours is not long enough.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!