• Cooked a simple pulled pork today, rubbed with sugar and salt and left in the fridge for 36 hours. Cooked in the Gmg Daniel Boone pellet BBQ using Gmg fruit pellets and as an experiment I added 2 banksia cones and two small pieces of apple wood on top of the flame tamer. Cooked for around 10 hours at 100c. Internal temp was around 80c and it turned out to be the most moist pulled pork I've ever made.
    Taste was fantastic and I imagine it might be even better tomorrow.
    The pork neck is from Costco and they sell it with the net holding it all together.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• love it. I have never done a pulled pork before but i had requests from my son and Brother in law today to do a pulled pork on the boonie, how does the neck compare to a shoulder?

besides salt and sugar you didnt use any other rubs? Was the bansia and applewood worth the effort? Did u sauce it after it was done?

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• how does the neck compare to a shoulder?

besides salt and sugar you didnt use any other rubs? Was the bansia and applewood worth the effort? Did u sauce it after it was done?

I know lots of people use it, but I can't remember ever personally using shoulder for pulled pork so I can't say what the difference is. I imagine it would be minimal.
    I used only salt and sugar as I like pulled pork fairly plain. I never sauce it in bulk as I fear that the delicate PP flavour disappears that way, I usually make rolls and depending on mood I might add sauce at that time. Sometimes I like to use a spicy sauce (cholula or Sriracha) together with a good mayo.
    This particular PP batch came out so moist that I think I'll go without sauce tomorrow. The rest is going to be vac sealed and frozen.
    Edit: The banksia cones and other bits of wood seemed to smoke up pretty quickly. I plan to check to see what's left of them tomorrow. I've only had a sample taste of the PP so far and I find that I need to wait for the next day before the flavour fully develops, I'll find out tomorrow.

• how does the neck compare to a shoulder?

Either work just as well. I like the shoulder with the bone in and watching it slide out when it's done but have done it without the bone many times.

Nice looking feed there Narm. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks everyone, I was very pleased with how it turned out. I reckon part of that is because I didn't wrap it. Each pork piece seemed to develop a skin that kept all the juices inside and they didn't drip much at all...
    I'm glad I took a pic when I did, the pork did darken a little a few hours after the pulling.
    I ate some today and was very happy with it. Definitely more moist than my previous attempts. I'm not sure if I can detect the extra smoke to be honest. I had a look at the banksia cones and small branches today and they had turned black, but I'm not sure if they smoked up and smouldered or what. If I had to guess I'd say they created some additional smoke, but only for maybe half to one hour at the most.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!