Heat Beads vs Kingsford - the test results

• There have been opinions in here recently, including my own, that the new (to Aus) Kingsford briquettes burn much faster than our own standard briquette for many years, being Heat Beads. so tonight i decided to put them both to the test and the result wasn't surprising.....

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Weight
    I weighed individual briquettes so that the same amount of fuel was being tested. Doing it by counting them and having equal numbers would have skewed the results.
    The weight of a Heat Bead is 40g, a Kingsford 20g. (To the nearest 5g as that is how my scales are calibrated)
    That's interesting since there's very little difference in size.

Lighting and Burn Time
    The Weber kettle was used to test the lighting and cooking time with equal amounts (by weight) in two separate Weber baskets.
    To make up approximately 600g of fuel, I used 23 Kingsfords but I only needed 13 Heat Beads for the same fuel load.

Two cardboard (Samba) fire lighters were placed under each basket.
    Right from the start, the Kingsfords gave off a lot more smoke.

15 Minutes
    The Kingsfords are well alight but the Heat Beads are hardly going.
    I gave the heat Beads a helping hand with a gas torch so that I could get them to the same stage as the Kingsfords.
    This would make the burn time more accurate but it showed that Heat Beads need a lot more fuel and time to get going.

30 Minutes
    Kingsfords - going well and not as much smoke now.
    Heat Beads - coming along but catching slowly.
    The Kingsfords are producing more heat at this stage.
    The lid was placed on the kettle at this point

60 minutes
    Both going well, the kettle is showing 200c and both are too hot for my hand test (holding my hand palm down at lid level above each basket in turn)

90 minutes
    Kingsfords - hand test is 10 seconds (time to remove hand when it gets too hot). Quite a bit of ash developing.
    Heat Beads - hand test 4 seconds, much hotter. Not much ash.

120 minutes (2 hours)
    Kingsfords - hand test 25 seconds. A lot of ash now
    Heat Beads - 7 seconds. Ash still not too bad.

150 minutes (2.5 hours)
    Kingsfords - I could hold my hand there all day. Only warm.
    Heat Beads - 10 seconds

210 minutes (3.5 hours)
    Kingsfords - dust and basically out.
    Heat Beads - ashy but still producing heat, 15 seconds on the hand test. (Maybe I could have held longer but they were hot)

Conclusion
    There's no doubt that heat beads, although harder to light, burn far longer than Kingsfords.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Very interesting, thanks gumb.

Given the price of kingsford, you kinda have to ask why. Especially from this test 2 hours seems to be the limit. I know others have commented on smoke flavour, but add a few wood chips to the price, still seems you are better off with heat beads.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• after using the kingsford myself i noticed the same thing although i didnt do extensive testing but it was obvious.

Last couple cooks on the spit had to be topped up with heat beads or mixed 50/50.

I think i will finish the bag and go back to 100% heat beads.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• I think there's a place for the flavoured Kingsfords. Used sparingly as staters to help the heat beads would be worth considering and I'm still keen to get a bag of Kingsford hickory and try it out by putting some under the heat beads. They could add flavour early in the cook with the heat beads maintaining the temperature better and that could help justify their extra cost.

• I have two bags of the flavoured Kingsford's at home, and I won't be using these in the fuse method again as the burn time is far too quick for me. I got 6 hours out of a full fuse, I got 12 hours out of a fuse 75% of the length using heat beads...

I like the idea of using the Kingsfords in conjunction with the heat beads though, as I struggle to get my heat beads going.

Smite The Shepherd And The Sheep Will Be Scattered!

• I got 6 hours out of a full fuse

What is a "Full Fuse"???

A third of the kettle fire grate? Half? 3/4? Right round with just a paver separating the front from the back?

Mine is normally half a kettle fire grate.

• Excellent post Gumb, I have found the same with the Kingsfords in my bullet, I'm getting around 8hrs out of the Kingsfords @250f and 12+hrs with the Heatbeads, would never have guessed the Kingsfords would be nearly half the weight per briquette!

West Aus - Weber Q2200, Weber Kettle 57cm One Touch Platinum, Weber Kettle Compact 57cm, 47cm Bullet Smoker, Akorn Jnr

• On special down the road tomorrow, (Maxi Foods) so think I'll stock up, even though they aren't the hickory I would like.

It looks like they are struggling to move them at the normal price.

• Gumb a great comparison, but I think the comparison should be with other charcoal brickets or lump for a charcoal comparison.
    Also a running temp test how long does each burn at 100degrees?

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/accessories/ba…sories/bbq-fuel

• Above original price 3.49kgs $14.49 = $4.15/kg

• Sale 3.49kgs $7.24 = $2.07/kg
    • Link Above BBQs galore 7kgs $24.95 =$3.57/kg

• Apple wood 6.6 $31.95 = $5.32/kg
      • Kamado Joe charcoal 10kgs $49.95 = $4.95/kg
      • Heat beads 10kgs $24.95 = $2.95/kg
      • Pro smoke charcoal brickets 10kgs $34.95 = 3.49/kg
    • Malee Charcoal 15kgs 45 = $3/kg

Heat beads charcoal brickets are not

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Official Post

Interesting that Kingsford (or the importer) have placed a label on their bags next to the claim that they burn longer.....

You can't have a briquette that lights faster (which they do) but burns longer (which they don't). Physically impossible I think.

• Awesome topic, as a training wheels griller still very much analysing how my cooks go. Different fuels are obviously key to heat and flavour, I loved the flavour form the Kingsford beads but it was a short cook. Love the knowledge available here, watching with interest.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!