• Just put 2 kgs of cheese on just now photos to come

Okay smoking cheese in summer is a little hotter temp than I like, and it tends to release some of the oils form the cheese. When this happens I have found the end result is a dryer or has mature type of texture to the cheese. Smoking time is 1 hour and then I normally put some steak on for a meal later.

After smoking I wrap some of the cheese in glad wrap Ior baking paper, this cheese I want to use in 2 weeks and vacuumed seal the rest. The smokey smell in the back fridge lasts for ages btw.
    I have found that letting the cheese rest mellows the smoke flavour and it is not a harsh flavour when tasting/eating straight away.

Normally I add some flavour in with the blocks like black pepper or soy mainly wanting to keep a savoury flavour or profile.

This thyme (excuse the pun) I will try some thyme and some thing a bit wild maple syrup.
    I have had some cheese in a vacume pack for 6 months before opening without problems. The biggest problem or risk to the cheese is mice the 2 legged family member variety.

I use a 1kg block cut into 6 or seven pieces and don't use flavoured cheese before the smoking process.

Hope this enspires oh yeah 4 litres of water for ice making was done at the same time.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Edited 4 times, last by BBQ Smoke (December 11, 2016 at 7:12 AM).

• It wasn't too warm here in Melbourne yesterday so it was a good chance to top up the supply of smoked cheese. This is cheddar smoked with Hickory chips.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!