Kamado Roast Goat

• Got some goat at a market recently so I thought I'd give it a go in the kamado tonight at a low roast temp of about 150c.

I'll update you with the progress.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• So in she goes with some par boiled spuds and pumpkin (some of which is for use in a dip, we don't want that much for dinner !)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Goat is yum, but is that $36 kg for a shoulder?

Yeah, not exactly cheap is it.

It came out fine. I took it off at 145-150F internal (depending where I put the probe) and let it rest. It's the texture of l,amb and not tough but definitely chewy. Maybe since it's a shoulder I should have gone the whole way and done a real low and slow up to break down point ?

Verdict - I'd buy it again but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

• Yes, a lot of bone and fatty bits compared to the amount of meat. I cut it in chunks rather than trying to slice and finding a spot for the meat probe away from any bone wasn't easy. It's much smaller than lamb so I only rteally got two good size chunks out of it, although that was plenty for the two of us. You can see the two chunks I got in the photo after I sliced it down the centre to check doneness.

• From the size (although pics can be miss leading sometimes), it looks to be fairly small, so perhaps quite young.

Goat for some reason seem to be knocked off younger than lamb. I say give them a chance to get to a decent size and actually have a decent amount of meat on them.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• From the size (although pics can be miss leading sometimes), it looks to be fairly small, so perhaps quite young.

Goat for some reason seem to be knocked off younger than lamb. I say give them a chance to get to a decent size and actually have a decent amount of meat on them.

Not many abbatoirs take goat for slaughter as it displaces lamb. Much of the goat on the market is male goats born into the milking herds. Typically they are either killed at birth, or very young. Milk fed goat is an Italian delicacy, capretto, and is typically done with a sauce as the meat doesn't have a lot of fat, or flavour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• So the question is, can it be cooked low and slow like lamb shoulder and get to the point where it falls apart ?

• So the question is, can it be cooked low and slow like lamb shoulder and get to the point where it falls apart ?

That is a very interesting question. An older goat, yes, but one so young I don't know.

How much does the muscle change over time with more work? Or is the makeup of the muscles there from word go?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yes, can be done low and slow. Treat it like a lean lamb and you'll be fine.

Top quality goat is better than top quality lamb IMHO. Exquisite flavour

Hi Bear,

Have you tried Damara lamb? Although they do look and act a bit like goats. Dorper is more popular here as a meat breed, and is what we have on the farm, but we used to have damara and to me they are nicer.

Often you don't know what the breed is when you buy lamb, and it could be anything, but if you can get dorper or damara go for that.

yes, definitely!

Here's a shoulder I smoked to pulled.
    I also did took some goat legs to pulled to do goat sliders for a mountain goat function

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!