Maximus Wood Fired Pizza Oven Review

• this is an awesome review.

Hi Moy,

firstly welcome to the forum. I hope you like what you see and stick around.
    Secondly, thanks for your kind words. I hope you'll kindly share pics and opinion of your pizza party oven when it arrives. I've never seen one in the flesh, but I get the impression it is similar to a Maximus with a few upgrades, which would make it an awesome pizza oven. I know I'd love one of those cool glass doors :)

• Is this likely to be problematic? Is it shipped with a cover for the unit that can protect it from rain etc.?

I don't remember getting a cover. Perhaps better ask the vendor if weather is a problem as I keep mine on my verandah. My gut feeling is that it should be ok for the most part, as long as you keep water out because you don't want it getting into the fire bricks or the insulation. Also a trolley with wheels would allow you to keep it stored away when not using it.

• A cheap plastic tarp from Bunnings will keep the weather off it.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• So tonight was Maximus night. We made 8 in total but 6 are for tomorrow night when the neighbours come in for Xmas drinks and their kids just want ham and cheese.
    The oven was around 300c and each pizza took about 2-3 minutes.

We used a no knead recipe in the Thermomix so it was done really fast and tasted just as good as the traditional method.

and just when you have no marshmallows around, the perfect toasting fire appears.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• That was mainly bits of an old gum tree I had cut down a couple of years ago. I often use redgum which you can buy in bags or apple which I've also got lying around.

• Looking good Gumb!

I grew up on ham and pineapple and do enjoy it once and a while, a nice change from the traditional italian style!

I've been a bit quiet lately, focusing on low and slow when I can but in the new year will have another crack at firing Maximus up. Last few times I've really struggled to get the temp up about 250c, so still need a bit more practise at that and perfecting the dough.

• Last few times I've really struggled to get the temp up about 250c

Do you mean that it has been running away to a hotter temp? Or that you can't get it hot enough? I find that I can get a steady 250c by getting it hotter and catching it on the way down, though things will cook a bit more on the top than the bottom at this temp. You can reach 400c fairly easily if you have good hardwood and keep the door on with the holes opened up fully.

• Do you mean that it has been running away to a hotter temp? Or that you can't get it hot enough? I find that I can get a steady 250c by getting it hotter and catching it on the way down, though things will cook a bit more on the top than the bottom at this temp. You can reach 400c fairly easily if you have good hardwood and keep the door on with the holes opened up fully.

Yeah struggle to get it hot enough! I've tried leaving the door slightly adjar but also thinking it might let some of the heat escape.

I was thinking that next time I might try building a big fire which I'll move to the left hand side of the oven and then perhaps a smaller one at the back for some more heat.

I've only used it about 3-4 times so still have a long way to go before I master it I think!

• Leaving the door ajar (open at the bottom) is a good idea until you reach the desired temperature. I always start the fire in the middle with kindling at the bottom and a quarter log or two on top. Chimney vent fully open and door ajar. Once it's all going nicely I move it to the left and add another quarter log. That's usually enough for me to reach 400c or close to it. What wood are you using Dave?

• Leaving the door ajar (open at the bottom) is a good idea until you reach the desired temperature. I always start the fire in the middle with kindling at the bottom and a quarter log or two on top. Chimney vent fully open and door ajar. Once it's all going nicely I move it to the left and add another quarter log. That's usually enough for me to reach 400c or close to it. What wood are you using Dave?

What tool do you use to remove the small rack used to hold the kindling? And how do you get all the coals to one side? (I've just the right angle sheet metal thing but have found that it's too hot to do reliably)

• What tool do you use to remove the small rack used to hold the kindling?

A cheap pair of long tongs does the trick. They are also good for adding and moving wood on top of the fire once it's on the side.

And how do you get all the coals to one side? (I've just the right angle sheet metal thing but have found that it's too hot to do reliably)

With that right angle sheet metal thing. Just push the whole fire across with it but you need a pair of good long gloves, available at Bunnings.

• I'm after advice on how to get the Maximus to the very high temperatures needed for Neapolitan pizza. To date, I've been using White Gum as fuel and found that a few pieces of kindling with a couple of large pieces just gets the unit to 200 deg. All this is with the front off and chimney vent wide open. I've tried using the front cover with the hole open after the fire is going and that seems to get the temperature up a little but certainly not to 400 deg. Would Jarrah be a better fuel? And how are other managing the chimney vent and front cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Official Post

Any good dry hardwood should get you to 400c.
    Whenever you have a big fire in the oven you should have the chimney fully open and the holes in the door also fully open. Additionally you should leave the front door on, but have it ajar (ideally on the bottom) until the temp is where you want it.
    You'll notice in videos of the pizza party oven that people leave the front door ajar. The PP door has a metal flap that lets it sit in that position. On the max you can just wedge something that can withstand those temps under the door so that you can leave it open on the bottom (I use the metal rail that is supposed to be used to stack the wood on).

• Last night I built a more substantial fire in the centre of the pizza oven with vent fully open and door on but ajar as per Narm's suggestions. It worked and worked really well! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Cooked pizzas tonight but I the handle came off the door. Just snapped right through. ;(

I'll have to try and work out something but I'm thinking a wooden drawer handle from Bunnings might do the trick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!