Perth BBQ Society

• So the following were identified as missing from the Perth scene:

1. Not enough competitions
    2. Not enough education to get more people into competitions
    3. Not enough social/friendly competitions.

This is just a thought....

What if someone setup an incorporated not-for-profit called Perth BBQ Society, that through membership and sponsorship, could exist to:

1. Organise friendly/social competitions and events
    2. Share ideas, information and experience
    3. Mentor up and coming competitors
    4. Promote competition BBQ

Membership - affordable - say $10-$20 annually

Membership benefits
    1. Regular, friendly competitions
    2. Bulk buying power
    3. Networking
    4. Possibly sponsor discounts

Just a thought..

• Hi

I think this forum is a good place to run such a thing, for information transfer I mean.

I would be happy to pay $20.

Will look at this area closely. Even get togethers at a pub or other venue to chat would be good I reckon. That might just be because I like beer and I like to talk.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Sounds like a great idea.

My only comment is that it would be worthwhile looking at what is already being done by the Barbecue Club of Australia (based in WA). Would make sense to team up / coordinate with that group so that there isn't a fragmentation of efforts. That group (which has a page on Facebook) is already active in organising classes, social 'meat ups' etc.

I'm reminded of Monty Python's Life of Brian, namely the Judean People's Front, People's Front of Judea and the Judean Popular People's Front ('he's over there'). Presumably we'd like to avoid that scenario, unless you'd prefer to set up something new.

Can we discuss over a beer (and a green egg) at Yaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• @SusieQ Never heard of BCA, completely hear what you're saying regarding multiple organisations though.

But as Chris says to hold competitions it would have to be an incorporated, independent entity for liability reasons (e.g more than a Facebook group)

Discussions over a beer at Yaks it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• great idea, always up for more ways to grow the bbq scene in perth

could be worth liaising with Stephan from the Smokin in the City series as I think those are currently the best starter ground for new teams - lower cost to entry than the other comps and because it's for charity you get a mix of people that are gung-ho about competing and those that just want to have a good time and raise money for charity (or a mix of both!)
    And he's open to having people picking a venue and running with large parts of the organising if they're keen (that's how smokin in the port came about)

@<JC> i'll shoot you a pm later today to get you on the barbecue club page if you like, probably useful for you to be on there given your involvement in Yaks in any event

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!