New BBQ beef cuts at Coles

• I picked up a couple back ribs to try. They don't look too bad. The brisket and shorties looked very lean though, not like the marbling in the pic further up.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I must have lucked out, heard the same from a mate yesterday regarding the ribs.

Their cheeks are definitely a good thing though I've been using them for a good year or two and never had any duds, well trimmed too!

Did the back ribs on Saturday they weren't bad but I'm used to them having a bit more meat, still better bang for buck than pork!

West Aus - Weber Q2200, Weber Kettle 57cm One Touch Platinum, Weber Kettle Compact 57cm, 47cm Bullet Smoker, Akorn Jnr

• Hi

I suspect I will wait for a year or so till Northam Coles catches up. The best thing they have is the fat cap on rump roast.

I am not so worried about it if the stuff isn't super quality. It is great to have cheap options to experiment and practice with, then get the real good stuff for comps.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• I have also noticed supermarket chains have introduced these cuts as well
    aldi , coles and woolworths here in Sydney.

the best I have found is Costco , price and quality ,appear to be like the US cuts nice and thick

bought a chunk of bolar blade..awesome

rob

• I usually do the back ribs @ 250-300f until their probing like butter which usually only takes 3-4hours.

Picked up a small chunk of brisket on Friday, sorted through their stock and found one with a nice bit of point and half decent marbling and it turned out surprisingly good, pics are just the leftovers and were taken as an after-thought a good 20mins after slicing so looks a bit dry but was extremely moist when freshly sliced.

Took it very easy on this one as I was worried it would dry out, left the pit hovering around 200f til it hit 160f, then foiled it up with some juices and bought the pit up to 250-275f for the rest of the cook. Took about 8hrs which was longer than I thought it would take for a little 1.5kg portion, wasn't probing nicely at all till it was well above 200f, it ended up getting taken off at 210f which is generally pulling territory so was quite happy that it sliced up as well as it did.

West Aus - Weber Q2200, Weber Kettle 57cm One Touch Platinum, Weber Kettle Compact 57cm, 47cm Bullet Smoker, Akorn Jnr

• They wont be using "prime" graded beef for their "value adding" products like the ribs and briskets... Noticed some "American Style" brisket pieces at Spudshed yesterday. $11.99/kg about 1.5-2.2 kg pieces.

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• I saw those briskets in there today at my local spudshed, looked very lean and flat, it was screaming 'dry'. Could have just been the selection at my local though.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• So I got a pack of the back ribs because I've never cooked them before. Wow. This has now become my new favourite cut. Beefy, rich, meaty, and all over in about 3 hours. Simple S&P rub over cherry wood in the dragon and then glazed with some chili bbq sauce. So soft and tender, still need to do a better job with removing the membrane from the underside though, was fairly thick even though I thought I had removed a fair bit.

• I saw these the other day and didn't think much of them. However you've made them look delicious. I'll have to pick some up for the weekend ahead.
    Thanks. :thumbup::yum)

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I saw those briskets in there today at my local spudshed, looked very lean and flat, it was screaming 'dry'. Could have just been the selection at my local though.

Yea @Wazza possibly. there was only 5 at our Australind store, and definitely 1 maybe 2 you would have been happy to buy. Good size for just a small cook.

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Just a heads up, was 2 (well 4 before I got there :D ) good racks of Shorties and 2 good briskets at Coles Caversham yesterday.... No back ribs unfortunately, but there was a couple of rolled things labeled as "slow roasting beef" or similar that I think would be worth a shot in the future, appeared to be well marbled, just not what I wanted at the time....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!