New BBQ beef cuts at Coles

• i reckon you will find some really good brisket pieces and rib racks from time to time. Maybe you could sneak into the butcher and ask him to give you a call when they get fresh stock so you can get the best bits before they hit the shelf :D:D

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Last few times I been in they've stopped stocking the big individual cut beef plates (4 per pack) were $11/kg

Now they just have the drover beef plates (3 bones on the pack in the fridge) and are charging $13/kg.

Still great to cook with tho!

Pro Smoke offset

Heeler Tejas Q

• @lynchywa if you wanted to, you could probably ask the butcher to order you a carton of plate ribs... Be especially good if you could get it at wholesale price instead of retail. Last box i got from Harvey Beef had 9 pieces in it, all 5 bone racks, meat is nearly 55mm thick...

• Even if they dont I'm lucky to have Jase the butcher at spencer park meats who does massive plates (4 ribs at about 3 kg's!) and briskys too. Not ta mention his pork n plum snags. We be blessed down south finally....touch wood :) Thanks again mate.

Pro Smoke offset

Heeler Tejas Q

• Good for practice but mostly shiners. Can get some meaty examples but rare. Be careful, they look good until you realise the way they pack them makes it look like there is just one rack in there when there are 2.

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Sort of on topic but off topic.

I saw my local Coles in Beldon WA has pork rib racks.

Has anyone tried them?

Hi Bonsey,

I've looked at them in my local Coles, but from what I can tell is there is stuff all meat on them, leaving you paying 21/kg for 75% bone.

Unless your coles is carrying a different cut to mine, I'd suggest a local butcher could give you a much better cut for a few dollars less. You may need to chat to them and find one happy to do some meatier ribs. But if you are happy paying the coles per dollar rate, then I'd be very surprised if a local butcher wouldn't jump on that in no time. Most places sell bone in pork belly for less, and that will give you some serious meaty ribs.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Good for practice but mostly shiners. Can get some meaty examples but rare. Be careful, they look good until you realise the way they pack them makes it look like there is just one rack in there when there are 2.

Yep, this. Every once in a while you'll find a 700g - 800g pack with just one meaty rack. I grab them when I see them for the freezer.

• Cooked up my beef back ribs from coles yesterday. They came up really good! Meaty enough for the price and taste and tenderness was great. Membrane on the back made it slightly more difficult to eat, might take it off next time. I read that it holds the beef ribs together, otherwise they might fall apart. What does everyone else do with beef ribs? Membrane on or off?

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• @ Ray C
    Same here mate, never needed to with their big singles but getting abit disappointed with the new line of platies. Got some in the freezer and if it comes out better will keep buying but at this stage the brisket is tastyer and not paying for bone

Pro Smoke offset

Heeler Tejas Q

• abit disappointed with the new line of platies

I was lucky enough to score a box direct from them. My mate is supervisor there so hassled him until he cracked and asked the bosses if i could have a box... I'll post a pic tonight before i put the rub on...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!