The differences between KCBS abd ABA Comp Rubs, Injection, Brines and Sauces

• Just wanted to kick of a thread to see if there would be anything teams would share without letting the cat out of the bag regarding there choice of rub brand or home made or sponsored?

Did the teams and or people change there hand ins very much for the 2 different sanctioning comps referring to the ABA and KCBS?.

From my point of view talking to one of the KCBS ladies the description of Bark(black, Burnt) meat was not overly considered to be nice or acceptable referring to brisket in this case. A nice mahogany appearance was explained to be her preference and this is quite different to the Texas style salt and pepper rub style. It seemed there was a different view towards what style was preferred so just asking for opinions.

I didn't sauce my lamb at all and by the look the turn in boxes i have seen photos of since everything was sauced and in my opinion more than i would normally use, i might not have understood KCBS correctly. did anyone else have this experience before or on the weekend?

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Good thread idea.

We used pretty much the same rubs and saucing as we did at the last comp.
    The Lamb was the same rub but we left the mint sauce out this time. Not from rule differences but from the feedback that judges weren't really taken by it. Seems unAustralian to me to not like lamb and mint but there you go.
    We did change our rib sauce for another that we liked but that was our tastes changing rather than a different code of rules etc.

Cheers, Wayne

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Very interesting as I have only done Texas styled brisket(black bark) before and have never done a mahogany coloured brisket before. Have to have a read up

just add some paprika to your rub... I think... will do some research also...

more the appearance is not black more mahogany that's my interpretation of how it was explained to me.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• all the changes I made to turn ins were just due to evolution of ideas, not changed to suit sanctioning bodies

I did read through the official rules beforehand just to make sure anything I was currently doing wasn't allowed and it was all good apart from the lamb rossette incident which a few teams, including myself, almost got caught up in

the yanks said the rolled belly was a rosette, luckily the aussie kcbs guy said rolled lamb is pretty normal and not an identifying feature. not that it helped as my lamb was by far my worst category.

• What ever you did worked Gus for sure great effort thanks for the reply.

Your turn in boxes looked great

Edited 2 times, last by BBQ Smoke: Inappropriate question (April 12, 2017 at 9:07 AM).

• I don't think it's fair to ask him to give away his secrets.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I don't think it's fair to ask him to give away his secrets.

The first comp we did Oakridge supplied brine and rubs for the incubators this was extremely helpful and the taste was great and we did use our own sauces and rubs for lamb we finished 8th.

Teams have developed their own rubs and techniques so it inappropriate to ask for further explanation or details.

With so many options from type of meat, supplier, grade, rub, injection, brine, sauce, BBQ, smoke, cook time, sleep and any challenges thrown in, its quite a feat to nail the turn ins let alone place.

• A nice sprinkling of fairy dust usually does the trick. ;)

1 store bought rub for us, the rest home made. Injectios home made. 1 of the sauces is a mix of store bought, the rest home made.

We had a few technical issues creep into our last 2 cooks, but think we have now worked them out. And it all seems to be stemming around the change in controller in the Treager. Pretty sure I now know what is going on, a couple of practice cookes should sort that out and hopefully we'll be back to where we were.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• that awkward moment in bbq comp when your CPU isn't talking to the chip in your motherboard circuitry and can't tether to the wireless brisket cooker

maybe try the old fashioned way :P

yes, but I got sleep :D

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!