• I was at the grand opening of the Low & Slow Meat Co.
    No website yet, but they are on FB.
    https://www.facebook.com/Low-n-Slow-Meat-Co-357254034638416/

Anyway this "fell into the trolley"

So, this is my first full brisket and will be cooking it on Saturday. The plan is to keep it reasonably simple. Dry brine overnight, then rub with some cracked pepper, paprika and a little bit of brown sugar.
    Smoke at about 235°f over wattle and/or banksia for as long as it takes. I'm not intending to wrap it.

My questions.

• When slicing against the grain along the flat, what do you do when you get to the point? Separate the point and keep slicing both muscles against the grain? Change the angle to cut diagonally across both muscles? Or just keep going at the same angle because it's going to be tender enough?
    • If I'm running short of time, can I wrap it at any time to speed up the cook, or does this only help to push through the stall?
    • Is spritzing needed, and if so, how often/what with?
    • What are people serving with their brisket? Sauce? Gravy? Sides?

Maybe I should have chosen a smaller/ cheaper piece for my first go, but what the hell. Looking forward to it.

Very effin UDS, GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Official Post

I'll let those with more brisket experience answer your questions, but I must say that using your feet for scale that looks like the most a gigantic brisket I've ever seen! :D

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• my first brisket was a fantastic piece of cape grim like yours.

With slicing i just winged it, common sense will get you through.

I didn't foil it until the stall (I had a deadline) but it made a big difference

No need to spritz at all. I lifted the lid twice in 12 hours...

Sides? Coleslaw, a burger sauce i found on this forum and a thin sauce I found on meatheads website were what i served

• Separate the point and keep slicing both muscles against the grain - although the point is cubed for burnt ends.
    • Foiling will speed up the cook and is good for pushing through the stall if you are time restricted. You can foil whenever you want but i wouldnt do it until the bark is set (usually 6 - 7hrs).
    • With a good quality meat like cape grim and enough fat left on the meat you wont need to spritz.
    • I serve Gravy and a bbq sauce. Sides i do Mac n cheese, coleslaw, stuffed pumpkin, potato bake, stuffed capsicum etc. Not always all at the same time.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• I'll let those with more brisket experience answer your questions, but I must say that using your feet for scale that looks like the most a gigantic brisket I've ever seen! :D

Haha! Just an optical illusion, although, at 6.14kg it's the largest piece of meat I've ever attempted.

my first brisket was a fantastic piece of cape grim like yours.

With slicing i just winged it, common sense will get you through.

I didn't foil it until the stall (I had a deadline) but it made a big difference

No need to spritz at all. I lifted the lid twice in 12 hours...

Sides? Coleslaw, a burger sauce i found on this forum and a thin sauce I found on meatheads website were what i served

Cheers

• Separate the point and keep slicing both muscles against the grain - although the point is cubed for burnt ends.
    • Foiling will speed up the cook and is good for pushing through the stall if you are time restricted. You can foil whenever you want but i wouldnt do it until the bark is set (usually 6 - 7hrs).
    • With a good quality meat like cape grim and enough fat left on the meat you wont need to spritz.
    • I serve Gravy and a bbq sauce. Sides i do Mac n cheese, coleslaw, stuffed pumpkin, potato bake, stuffed capsicum etc. Not always all at the same time.

Thanks Swampy,
    I wasn't planning on doing burnt ends. Is the point ok to slice?
    So, foiling is only beneficial to push through the stall and will make no difference once the temp has started to rise again?
    No spritz, leave enough fat. Got it.
    Stuffed capsicum sound nice. What do you put in them?

Don't use foil directly against the meat, the acid from the meat juices/rub and smoke will eat the foil and deposit it on the surface of the meat, use Kraft paper first then foil over that .

Thanks Chris, I didn't know that. Is that true for all meats?

Very effin UDS, GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Official Post

Thanks Chris, I didn't know that. Is that true for all meats?

It's the Acid created from the Rub, Smoke (High acid) and the Meat juices (red meats are High Acid).......so ideal high acid conditions. I always put a sheet of paper on before foil.

Better safe than sorry!

• Thanks Swampy,I wasn't planning on doing burnt ends. Is the point ok to slice?
    So, foiling is only beneficial to push through the stall and will make no difference once the temp has started to rise again?
    No spritz, leave enough fat. Got it.
    Stuffed capsicum sound nice. What do you put in them?

point is definitely ok to slice. Its the money muscle. The grain will generally run adjacent to the flat so when slicing you would turn it 90 degrees before slicing.

Wrapping retains the moisture in the meat. Stops the darkening of the bark and smoke penetration.

I stuff capsicum with mince, herbs and spices. Topped with cheese.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Does the paper weight make much of a difference ? I've noticed the stuff getting sold by most BBQ shops is 65gsm whereas Officeworks Kraft paper is only 50gsm

West Aus - Weber Q2200, Weber Kettle 57cm One Touch Platinum, Weber Kettle Compact 57cm, 47cm Bullet Smoker, Akorn Jnr

• I used a lighter weight kraft paper on a brisket and as the paper became wet from the brisket juices it transformed into a gooey paper porridge around the entire brisket. However disgusting that sounds, it was even more disgusting in reality. Use the appropriate paper weight....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!