4th of July 2017 Challenge

• Official Post

Vote for your favourite Southern Fried Chicken dish. 11

1. ENTRY 1 (5) 45%
    2. ENTRY 2 (7) 64%
    3. ENTRY 3 (3) 27%
    4. ENTRY 4 (2) 18%
    5. ENTRY 5 (2) 18%

Hi all it's the 4th of July and time for our next Challenge. It'll be a tad different this time around. :evil:

We've had a couple of American themed Challenges with last years Hotdog Challenge being very popular with a heap of different types of Dogs put up.
    This year we're looking at another American staple "Southern Fried Chicken" It's going to be a real Challenge to knock this up on your BBQ and for those who manage to cook it on solid fuel there'll be one extra bonus point added after the voting finishes. For those that choose not to brave the cold and cook it indoors or on their gas sideburner their score will be as per the poll votes.

A quick google search will bring up a lot of recipes for Southern Fried Chicken and with a bit of digging around you might come up with the 11 secret herbs and spices recipe!

It's going to be a bit tricky to cook this on a bbq but it's sure to be a worthwhile quest when you delicious SFC to your BBQ spreads next summer.
    Entries only in this thread and chatter over here ..... Chatter thread for the 4th of July Challenge 2017

Cheers, Wayne

Simple rules for this one.

Challenge starts today 4th of July and runs to the end of the month.
    Cook your version of Southern Fried Chicken anyway you like (even indoors!)
    One extra point to entries cooked on Solid Fuel.
    Pics, as many as you like with one pic showing the chicken being cooked.

Poll voting ends midnight est 8th of August.

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• ENTRY 1

Chicken Wangs Y'all.

Double dip for these Buzzard bits with as many herb & spices I could find in the pantry.

No bonus points. All cooked inside but with gas flame.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• ENTRY 2

Mole Hot Chicken with Kim Chi Slaw

Heating the spiced oil on the konro (pay no attention to the burnt Thai wings, you just can't get good help these days

Patience grasshopper

That's what I'm talking about

I'm a spiced oil fan, those babies are crisp as (and were this morning when I had them for breakfast) and perfectly spicy

Should have used a salad with more contrast

Notwithstanding it's only 37% and has worms in it, washed down with an excellent VFM mezcal

• ENTRY 3

Entry for Alex my 12 year old son. He's at school, so I'll put the pics up and he can do the text later when he's home.

This was supposed to be done in the akorn, no doubt he'll winge about that in his description but is was cooked in the oven in the end, not fried. Still really crunchy.

Fried chicken with potatos and gravy.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Edited once, last by Wazza (August 1, 2017 at 11:45 AM).

• ENTRY 4

Running pretty close to the wire but managed to get a couple of bits of chook soaking in some buttermilk. The we found one of the myriad Southern Fried Chicken recipes on the net. Not having a deep fryer I wanted to try doing it as an oven fried dish instead.

Our secret herbs and spices.

A biyt of butter melted in the pan before whacking the chooken in

Out of the buttermilk and into the flour and spice mix.

Onto the Akorn for some heatery, around 210c for 15 minutes a side.

After flipping them over they looked pretty good. Took them off at around 75-80c internal

Stayed pretty moist inside.

All in all it came out pretty well and something that would be worth playing with to get another string to the bow for summer.

Cheers, Wayne

• ENTRY 5

We did a take 2 on the Fried Chicken thing as well. This one was done in a frypan on the sideburner to get a nice crisp crust then transferred over to the Hark to finish cooking. It came out pretty well and we enjoyed the texture and taste.

Cheers, Wayne

The Chooken was give a bath in some buttermilk for a couple of hours then dusted off with a breading mix. Then it was into the frypan for a bit of searing.

With a good sort of crust formed it was over to the gas Hark to finish off the cooking

Came out pretty good. A different style of coating to the other one we did but we liked it.

• Congrats Hector. From the looks of those, I'd be very happy with a feed of them.

And a 3rd place finish to Alex my 12 year old. .... I think that's better than I have done in the last few =O Hmmmm, I'm still not handing over the tongs anytime soon.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Well done all, and well done Mr Asado on the win. :clap:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!