Traeger Junior Problems

• Gday everyone.
    I'm currently having some issues with the little Traeger.
    Going a few weeks back, I had a CG Brisket destined for an overnighter. Had everything ready and went out to fire the Traeger late, All good... Set the Mav up with alarms and off I went to bed... 3am the Mav woke me (that bloody alarm)
    Fire had gone totally out, unload everything, clean out firebox and relight... All good... 1hr Later same thing. Relight again although this time she took off (got to 450F)
    Around a hr later same thing so spat the chewy and started lighting the
    Kamado
    OK what I thought was happening was steam back feeding to the hopper and the pellets breaking up (had another go today with new pellets and no steam) will only get to 100F and relighting doesn't seem to help.
    I'm thinking I may have cooked my controller?
    I'd appreciate any ideas out there guys.
    Cheers

• Yes the controller sounds sus!

Try a different P setting....set to Smoke...just to see what happens.

I do have spare controllers here.

Hey Chris, there's no rush for an answer here but how exactly do these things work. I Know I ended up getting a screw jammed in the auger. That was the start, I'm guessing the drive motor has some type of safety system.
    It's not jammed now but will only turn 1/4in then stop, then it will jog again... I never really took much notice when it was working :cursing:

• Well I've found the issue with my Baby Traeger, it's stripped a cog in the auger drive gearbox (From jamming the auger)

It's going to have to wait until after xmas/New Years before I'll sort it out. At least the controller is alright...

• Well I've found the issue with my Baby Traeger, it's stripped a cog in the auger drive gearbox (From jamming the auger)

When did you get the screw jammed in the auger? When you were taking it apart to see why it wasn't working or sometime before this?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Ages ago and I have no idea how a screw even got in the hopper. Kids more than likely.

I keep my bags of pellets down the shed in plastic tubs and transfer with a see through 4l jug so really have no idea how a screw ended up in the hopper. Wasn't fun to unjam either.

• Happened to a buddy of mine with his DB early on when he got it. Screw, in the auger tube caused the auger pin to sheer...all he could figure was a screw got into the pellets, he had no idea how.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Glad its not just me Bentley :)

It's annoying, we are talking about a 50c part and I could fix it easily if I can find one, the gearbox has only one plastic gear which makes me think it's designed as the weak link to save the entire assembly.

I've found the manufacturer of the motor/gearbox but you think I can find the small part? Of course not.

• Would be good to get a spare gear when you get one, for if it happens again and keep hat sucker in a safe place so you will never find it again. or that might just be where my things in safe places end up.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• It's annoying, we are talking about a 50c part and I could fix it easily if I can find one, the gearbox has only one plastic gear which makes me think it's designed as the weak link to save the entire assembly.

Off topic but Ford electric door locks are like that. The young blokes died and after pulling it apart the plastic cog was stripped. Ring Ford for a replacement cog. "Sorry sir, you need to buy the whole assembly and we don't stock them any more for your model. You need to buy the next model one $150 and a $40 adapter to make it fit"

• Off topic but Ford electric door locks are like that.

They are all like that. I had a BMW in the early 2000's and the boot release stopped working. It wouldn't spring back in to position so i had to open the thing with the key. I got a quote from the dealer for $450 for the whole unit not including fitting. I sourced one on ebay from the UK for $65 and fitted it myself in 45 minutes. It was a only a 20c spring which had broken inside.

But worse was the actuator on the side of the turbo on the last one i had. It operates a lever to open and shut the airway for the turbo to operate and it broke. that part used to be a bolt on to the turbo but in later models it was part of the turbo itself. They wouldn't sell the repair shop the part so I ended up paying $4400 for a whole new bloody turbo unit !!@ And the car was only 4 years old !

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Time to close this one out, cheapest option Was ordering a new motor from the states, it was 120v but the gearbox was interchangeable.

She's all up and running again so I have a Deboned picnic ham which was sitting around smoking away, I'll pull it later for sliders.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!