Slow roasted pork belly with fennel

• Cooked a chunk of pork belly last night as a test for a shoulder cook down the track. Came out pretty good and enjoyed the fennel taste.
    Crunched up some fennel seeds, garlic cloves and pink salt in the mortar ( love clunking away on that) and rubbed into the pork. Then into a pan with some fennel bulb and white wine. The Akorn got another run tonight with the temp at 200c when the belly went in. Immediately choked it down to bring the heat back to around 100c which took quite a while to drop down to.
    The skin of course was soft with this style cook but a quick tickle with the Looft lighter gave it a bit of crunch. Or you could pop it under the grill.

Was pretty good but when I reduced the pan juices down to make a sauce it became very salty which i put down to the salt from the wet rub. Might have to go easier on it next time.

Cheers, Wayne

Pok,pok,pok

Pork belly

Rubbed

Cooking

Cooked

Cut

Served

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Looks great, the crackle came up well with Sir Loof.

I hear you on the salty reduction. If I'm planning on reducing a sauce, especially if going for a thick jus style, I use next to no salt at the beginning of the cook (including giving the skin a wipe just before it goes in). It really does not take much for it to become very salty very quickly.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I was once told by a French chef that if you oversalt your sauce you should simmer a potato in it for a bit and this will make it less salty... I never believed him though and have never tried it :shrug:

I also didn't believe him when he said adding cream to the Xmas gravy would be better... I was wrong on that one :D Although I think this was done to balance out the excess red wine that originally got tipped into the gravy :doh:

• Great cook. :yum)
    My last go at belly on the BBq I kept the temp up around 180-200c the whole cook, and had great crackle without any extra effort. I don't see the need to reduce heat down that much. ? 2c

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!