New Heat Beads Briquettes made from wood

• Learn more

Heat Beads® Charcoal BBQ Briquettes are a high quality, 100% wood charcoal briquette which provide your barbecued food an enhanced flavour unique to cooking over charcoal, with the convenience of a briquette. The long burn time is rare for a 100% charcoal product, and is comparable to that of Heat Beads®Original Briquettes.
    Whether your preference is for quick open grilling, a spit or kettle roast, make sure your barbecue gets off to a great start with Heat Beads® Charcoal BBQ Briquettes.

• 100% natural
    • Burns hot
    • Chemical free
    • Sustainably sourced

• Official Post

Hmmm...so original Heat beads are no good for indirect???? :shrug:

Gee, 20 years of using original Heat Beads indirect in a Weber kettle and now I discover I've been doing it wrong all this time. ;(

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Come on fellas, if you don't believe, they can't sell a new product

True. I don't have an issue with the new product, in fact I think it's a good move but the advertising suggesting the old HB's are not used for indirect roasting is where I have a problem. That is completely contrary to what they have advertised since they began and totally unnecessary.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep, me too!

.......and I've been teaching people the wrong stuff!

Even the Weber Cookbook says to use the Heatbeads for both direct and indirect. It gives the number of briquettes for different temperature fires etc.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• Hmmm...so original Heat beads are no good for indirect???? :shrug:

Did also see that when it was first posted, marketing gone mad I guess, no other real explication. There are probably more than a few sitting in the Heat Beads office shaking their heads at the marketing department right now.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Anyone tried the new heat beads?

I am guessing that maybe they made them to compete with the Kingsford briquettes since they are wood based.

It is interesting to see Heat Beads talk about how long they burn which is what the KIngsford boast on their packaging.

How long do they burn?

Do they produce the nice wood smoke like the Kingsford?

How much do they cost?

• Do you use softwood? That was my point, I do not want softwoods used when I am cooking. One of the many reason why I quit using Kingsford 25 years ago. Although, I have been told they may have changed their formulation, but I am not sure, and so far removed from using their product it is a moot point...So when someone simply states wood, I have no idea what they are using. If they state 100% hardwood, I may not know what hardwood it is, but I know there is no softwood in it!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Official Post

I don't see how Kingsford can claim long burn time and we've proven that not to be the case with tests done and posted in here. If I can find a pack of the new heatbeads I'll grab some and do the same.

• I saw these in Woolworths today..
    $12 for 4 kg bag..
    Think I'll wait until they are on sale to try..

Z&G Turbo Classic - Warrior Pig Spit Roaster - ProQ Excel 20 Elite - Ziggy Triple Grill - Weber Jumbo Joe

• Official Post

That's similar to the Kingsford standard price and then they dropped the Kingsfords to about $8 after a while.

It's not cheap charcoal but if they burn a long time they'd be worth keeping as a good fire base in an offset for example and could be good for my Cobb too. I'll go and grab some.

• Official Post

I'll do a lamb backstrap in the Cobb and see how they go.

They are smaller than normal Heat Beads and lighter. Closer to Kingsfords in fact.

Weight was approx 30g compared to my previous test which showed Heat Beads at around 40g and Kingsfords around 20-25. Heat Beads vs Kingsfords

• Official Post

Wonder if this is why Woolies is having a special on at the moment for the regular stuff? $4.74 for a 4kg bag of regulars make them cheaper than the 4 packs from Bunnings.

Possibly. They had sold out of the standards when i was there but had quite a few of these. I think the average BBQer would just go for the cheaper option, not realising the difference.
    (as opposed to the highly knowledgeable and sophisticated BBQ freaks in here :D )

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!