First catering request...

• So my niece has asked me to cater for her Confirmation... my sister has requested lamb and beef, both pulled and sliced... what cuts would you guys suggest? I was thinking lamb shoulder and beef chuck... I will also be doing 3 racks of beef ribs, these will be cut in half prior to cooking creating small pieces...
    as always, replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• I was thinking lamb shoulder and beef chuck.

That's exactly what I would have suggested. I prefer chuck over brisket. Remember, start EARLY and foil in an esky. It will stay hot for hours. The worst thing you can do is not have the food ready on time.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Cooking the day before, foiling, resting then in the fridge overnight also works really well. The flavours kinda mature a bit.

Then next day simply reheat in an oven at 70 degrees. Get it back in the oven early, I'm guessing this will be for a lunch feed, come 12.30 it will all be back up to temp and you simply then pull, slice and serve, no stress.

Have done it this way a number of times now, and for a lunch especially it makes life so easy.

+3 on the choice of cuts, which one are you pulling, and which one slicing?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• cheers @Wazza appreciate the advice about cooking the day before. The plan is to have my butcher cut the slabs in half for me, pull and slice BOTH cuts. We have to be at the church at 8:30. If I put everything back into the GMG set to 70c at 8, will that be early enough to reach temp by lunchtime?

• Just been asking wife about timing. Last time I did this had to be there at 9, but we didn't eat till around 1 from memory. I would have got it in easily by 8, probably a bit before.

I'd be aiming for 7 if I were you. At 70 degrees it's not going to overcook so even if it's warmed a bit early it shouldn't be a problem.

More than happy for others to chime in here too.

I also used the electric oven to reheat, not that it will matter here, just saved a few pellets. I bolted home, got the smoker going and transferred the meat out of the oven into the smoker. Saved 4+ hours of pellets, but everyone then rocked up thinking it had been in the smoker all along 8)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Only way to fly! Makes the rest of the gig so much easier...It can even be days before. Now don't quote me on that with lamb, I have no idea, but beef you bet!

Cooking the day before, foiling, resting then in the fridge overnight also works really well. The flavours kinda mature a bit.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Only way to fly! Makes the rest of the gig so much easier...It can even be days before. Now don't quote me on that with lamb, I have no idea, but beef you bet!

Lamb will also be fine days before.

• Cheers lads. I've been told 25 guests... Clod is actually the muscle above the shoulder blade. In Bentley picture you can see the silver skin that remains when you peel the scapula off.
    Who would have though all those years boning Beef and doing meat certification courses would come in handy one day...

• Never done a jam shoulder before. What internal temp am I chasing lads? Sis wants both pulled and sliced meat. Idea is guests can have either a roast lunch or rolls stuffed with meat. I am only responsible fir the meat.

• Clod may be a bit much for just 25...Or, maybe they are all lumberjacks?

It might be good since it sounds like you will need to vastly different temperatures for my taste. Pulled, for me will need to be well over 95°C...and for a good roast beef sandwich with some nice creamy horseradish...I need my beef pulled off the pit at 54°C...You get that carry over that gets me to a nice medium rare, out side slices can be for the folks that don't know what good...I mean that like it more well done.

Or, I guess that you could cook it to X temp, rest, slice what is needed for slices and back on pit for the pulled!

What internal temp am I chasing lads? Sis wants both pulled and sliced meat. Idea is guests can have either a roast lunch or rolls stuffed with meat. I am only responsible fir the meat.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• You may need 2 lamb shoulders for that number of people. 1 off at your desired slicing temp. Personally I like to take lamb shoulder a bit further than leg, but I always catch the drippings to make a sauce. Say 70 to 75, also goes by feel though. Then keep cooking the other for pulled till it probes like butter and the bones look and feel like the are just going to slide out.

• Meat has been ordered. Thursday pick up. Zane at Buckinghams Meat supply at the plaza in Bunbury is old school.

what did you end up ordering?

• That's an interesting question...
    I'm not sure but I would like to try some mint in with the other usual suspects.
    Rosemary
    Garlic
    Lemon zest/juice
    Olive oil
    S & P
    I wouldn't go any further than that as I love lamb.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!