First catering request...

• Hi

I am a bit late here and I don't know if you have a sous vide. What I do is slice the meat, seal it in vac bag, then put it in sous vide at around 57c for an hour or so. It doesn't cook any more but heats up nice.

Of course you need a sous vide that can strap on the side of an esky to get this to happen if you want to heat a few bags of meat.

Maybe not an idea for here, but for smaller parties it works a treat.

Will watch to see the upshot.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• So... pulled land came off at 5:30. Pulled beef is at 85c. (6:45pm).
    Roasts are mid teens. Put them on pretty late but nothing better to do tonight. Scotch, footy and BBQ!

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• 10 hour update... pulled beef is at 88c. The GMG has been burning for 10 hours and has only used 1/2 a hopper of pellets. Temp has been very steady, I have my heat deflector slightly to the left so the right hand side has been 13c lower all day. Roasts are almost done lamb is 56c. Beef is 49c. I should have utilised my shelves better than I did today. #AlwaysLearning

• Beef roast 63c internal.

Stuck the Maverick probe into the kitchen oven to see where I need the dial for 65. Everything going into the oven at 7:30.
    Wish me luck lads...

• Overall very happy. Learned a few things and have made some notes so I can improve next time...
    No photo of Beef Roast but that was the favourite.
    Pulled beef

Pulled Lamb

Roast Lamb

Lessons-
    *Lamb Shoulder is not ideal for a roast
    *slicing and pulling should be done the night before
    Alfoil trays are :censored:

Very big THANKS to all who provided comment and advice

• They leaked... they collapsed... they are black banned from my GMG from now on. My mum has a heap of baking dishes she said I can have. Not stainless or other metals, glass and ceramic ones...

• Lessons-
    *Lamb Shoulder is not ideal for a roast

Oh man Ray, you're bringing a tear to a sheep farmers son's eyes here. ;(

What were the issues. Carving if you are not familiar with them could be a challenge, a deboned and rolled may have been better here (plus you can flatten, stuff then re roll).

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I guess I have had a slicer for so long that I don't remember hand carving much anymore. Tough when you have multiple needs. Might cool next time, slice and then you have already cut for sandwiches. If folks want there slices warm, just throw in some au jus for a few minutes!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Oh man Ray, you're bringing a tear to a sheep farmers son's eyes here. ;(
    What were the issues. Carving if you are not familiar with them could be a challenge, a deboned and rolled may have been better here (plus you can flatten, stuff then re roll).

@Wazza no disrepect intended, maybe I'll have to get you to give me a lesson or 2... de-boning wasnt a problem cause I am an ex beef boner, so i know my way around a carcass.

Another lesson learned - I NEED to get myself some of those longer MAVERICK probes...

• All good Ray.

Try taking it a little further next time. This is a muscle which will break down to be pulled, so even when slicing still needs to break down enough to be tender.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• So you did not cook some of the beef and pork to be sliced?

1 lamb shoulder and 1 piece of the chuck roll was sliced. Took it to 62c then wrapped it up, into a beach towel then into the esky with a few more towels. The beef roast was outstanding, no pic unfortunately... Impatient family...

• Wow, leave the country for a month and you miss an epic thread!

First and foremost, well done Ray! The meat in the photos look great! Second, this thread is chock full of great bits of info! Unfortunately there is so much I am now thoroughly confused and will have to reread a few times, haha!

Thanks for sharing and apologies for the late reply.

Joel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!