GMG Daniel Boone

• G'day all,
    I took delivery of an early birthday present of a GMG Daniel Boone, courtesy of @Urban Griller, many thanks again Chris.
    I finally got around to putting it together yesterday and doing the initial burn in. Is there anything else I need to do before I cook on it for the first time?
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• Is there anything else I need to do before I cook on it for the first time?

Absolutely......you need to crack open a beer to celebrate. :cheers:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Celebratory beer - check :thumb up: .

Take a pic and post on here 8)

Actually a good idea to take a pic now, it will never look like this again.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I think he needs to have a SFaF stubby holder too. ;)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• G'day all,
    I took delivery of an early birthday present of a GMG Daniel Boone, courtesy of @Urban Griller, many thanks again Chris.
    I finally got around to putting it together yesterday and doing the initial burn in. Is there anything else I need to do before I cook on it for the first time?
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve

Update the Firmware then get cooking!

• I ended up cooking a quiche (my SIL calls them 'girl pies' :D ) for me and the kids whilst the better half went to a meeting.
    Turned out well and no complaints from the kids.
    Whilst it was cooking I also downloaded the app and got the phone and GMG talking, so great success. I'll have a crack at updating the firmware tomorrow.
    Thanks again all.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• Question on the GMG's.

I read somewhere that you should have a spare igniter somewhere to replace the existing one should it fail.

I guess if it fails you have no way of using the grill ?

@Urban Griller do you recommend this and if so how much does a replacement cost ?

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• If it does fail you can light some pellets manually in the fire pit and turn it on. I simply used the loof lighter to do this.

I did this in my traegar for quite some time before I got around to fitting the new hot rod.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Waz is right, I had one for 12 months and had no igniter issues so unless you burn it out, which you can do if it's not shut down properly, it's not something you should be concerned about.

• Learn to do a Hot Re-Start, if some idiot unplugs the GMG while it's running you need to do a Hot Re-Start otherwise the rod will burn out.

If you need you can do a Manual Start as Wazza describes

They are an Expendable part and will eventually fail.

GMG have a two year Waranty for normal

Igniter rods are $49.99 inc post.

• If it does fail you can light some pellets manually in the fire pit and turn it on. I simply used the loof lighter to do this.

I did this in my traegar for quite some time before I got around to fitting the new hot rod.

What Wazza doesn't say is that he did do this for more than quite some time. I think it was from the first day I met him until the last comp we went in when he replaced it. So, yes, it works.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Gentleman thank you for your help.

I won't worry until it eventually goes.

@Urban Griller interesting the quote from Hark for the part was over $100 delivered. So when I need one I know who to call.

I do shut it down properly as I have a shutdown profile on my app. Sets grill to 150 for 5 minutes and then turns off. Something else I learnt on here :thumbup:
    [editors note: by way of clarification, later posts reveal this to be 150f, not 150c]

Yes the hot restart I have read about. Fortunately I do not have young children anymore and people I talk to about the grill I just tell them to not unplug it.

So I have bought front shelf haven't fitted it internally yet but have put it on front and guess what. I really like it on the front with the extra space for food prep. So I think I need to purchase a downdraft first and another shelf to fit inside. Couple more weeks of saving the pennies.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Yes the hot restart I have read about.

The only time I've had to use it was once when I had a 2 minute power outage in the middle of my cook. Had to google it as I forgot how to do it ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!