I'm finally going to cook something

• G'day all,
    as a valid question was raised here GMG Daniel Boone, I thought I'd better step up and have a fair dinkum go. 8o
    I got a 3.9kg pork collar butt from Costco and I'm planning on smoking it in the GMG Daniel Boone in the next few days. I've done a couple of pulled porks before, but I've never injected it before smoking, nor have I used a pellet pooper for a 'low n slow'. So here goes a series of newb question ;( .

How long, 'ballpark figure', would that size pork take to cook at 110C?
    Does injecting make a lot of difference to the cooking time? Would I need to allow a longer cook time for an injected piece of meat? Do I even need to inject? ?(
    Taking into account my above newb questions, should I aim for an overnight cook or would a full day session suffice? I thought that I could take advantage of the profile capability if I was doing an overnighter.
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• It can depend on the shape of the cut but as a guide, i did a 2.5 shoulder last weekend which was rolled with a decent fat cap on one side. It took 9 hours at 120c before it hit 92c internal and I gave it the poke test to make sure it was done. I then rested it wrapped in a small esky with towels for 2 hours, adding a cup of apple juice/BBQ sauce mix in with it before wrapping. The result was superb, if i do say so myself. ^^
    No spritzing or injecting is needed if it's a good cut from a good butcher. That Costco CB should be fine and I'd think the shape will make it similar to the time mine took. Put the probe in the thickest part.

It was for a family lunch the next day so I pulled it, mixed a bit more apple juice /sauce mix and put it in a covered bowl in the fridge. Next day we microwaved it in 3 separate servings and had coleslaw and dinner rolls for 20 people. It comes out brilliantly after reheating and got devoured.

It's an easy way to do it and with a GMG it's set and forget. Mine was done on a kamado but the result will be the same. The only comment I have on the GMG method is that I believe the grill is too close to the fire deflector plates underneath and the bottom of the food can over cook. I always elevated mine when I had a DB here, to get the food higher up in the chamber and aviod that problem. Others will disagree but that's just my take on it.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Leave it on. Good for self basting.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• No expert here but everything @Gumb has said is right.

You will struggle to go wrong on the DB I haven't so it's idiot proof. I have done 2 Pulled Porks. I only cook on Farenheight however the GMG app allows you to switch between f and c.

I injected my last PP and I think it came out better than the first one. Did it make the cook shorter ? No it did not.

I simply followed the GMG recipe (profile) Wrapped at 165f and then took it off at 205f put it in esky in towels for two hours and then it fell apart.

As I wrap I have not had to elevate.

Did not spritz and injected with apple juice. Simple rub in fridge overnight.

My only advice. Allow yourself plenty of time to finish before you need to eat.

I would recommend a 12 hour time frame based on the profile. That's from start to serving.

I would love to hear and see how you get on.

I like you @Lovey am a GMG DB newb so I know the trepidation you have.

In other news my lovely wife has purchased me a Brisket cooking class ticket at Low n Slow butcher on the 22nd of September.

Will report back after lesson.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

Edited 2 times, last by Jimmy70 (September 1, 2017 at 7:29 PM).

• y only advice. Allow yourself plenty of time to finish before you need to eat.

That is one of the best tips you'll get. It can sit in an esky for hours and still stay piping hot so always plan to finish early. BBQ forums are full of posts about late dinners.

• I thought I'd have a crack at an overnighter for my first attempt at it, what could go wrong???
    I didn't want to be getting up at sparrow's tomorrow to put it on and be in a rush, and there's a better than good chance we'll be chowing down on it for tomorrow night's dinner 8) .

I set up a quick wifi profile to cook at 105C until it gets to 90C internal, then go into 'keep warm' mode.
    I put it into the GMG at 8.45pm straight out of the fridge, which I figured would extend the cooking time and increase smoke penetration.
    I didn't take a photo as I figured you've all see a pork butt with rub on it :D .

I'll take some progress shots early tomorrow morning, I promise.
    Thanks for looking and thanks one and all for your advice.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I wasn't sure how long it would take, so if I allow a maximum of 1.5 hours per 0.5kg (translated from lb's), I'm looking at around 12 hours.
    Once it's cooked, I'll put it in the esky ready for pulling for dinner.

• Bone in?
    8-12 hours.
    A simple liquid, juice, broth, etc., no I do not think it does. I inject Butt and brisket all the time, but my injection also have sodium phosphate in them, it is used to retain moisture and to transmit the flavor of that liquid into my meat.
    Overnight, you can always start the cook at about 94° and let it just cook in that smoke over night, most will not find it over smoked, subjective yes, but clean smoke makes a huge difference. When day break comes, the meat has taken on the smoke and color, turn it up to 149° and finish it off!

Edit: I see I missed the boat, ohh well!

I got a 3.9kg pork collar butt from Costco...

How long, 'ballpark figure', would that size pork take to cook at 110C?
    Does injecting make a lot of difference to the cooking time? Would I need to allow a longer cook time for an injected piece of meat? Do I even need to inject? ?(
    Taking into account my above newb questions, should I aim for an overnight cook or would a full day session suffice? I thought that I could take advantage of the profile capability if I was doing an overnighter.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Disconnect the pellet alarm!! They are so sensitive it's ridiculous.

Ha ha, funny you mention that Ray. I had gotten used to the huffing and puffing of the GMG overnight, it was actually quite rhythmic ^^ . Then at 4.30 this morning I heard this screeching noise. I rolled over to check the phone and saw the low pellet alarm was going off, combined with the alarm coming from the GMG itself. Into the garage and I grabbed a bag of pellets and checked the hopper, it was well beneath the auger guard. I filled it up again, then back to (sort of) sleep.
    At the 12 hour mark the pork is at 77, so I'm tracking nicely to take it off at lunchtime. I took a sneaky pic too.

Re the pellet consumption, is that a normal amount to have been used for 8 hours in to a low temp cook?
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve.

Edited once, last by Lovey (September 2, 2017 at 9:03 AM).

• If the low pellet alarm went off when the pellets dropped below the set level then that's fine. I think Ray has the same issue mine and many others had, and that was that the alarm would go off even if the hopper was full. I ended up sticking some foil over the top of the sensor in the hopper to shut it up. ^^

As for pellet consumption, I can't remember what my results were but a good way to work it out is to start with a full hopper doing a low and slow cook. Then, as you need to add pellets, put in a known amount (by weight) each time you top it up and also measure how much you need to fill it back up again at the end. That will give you the total amount of pellets used and you can easily work out your cost per cook knowing the cost per kg to buy them.
    I'd be interested in the result.

• Sorry Bentley, I missed your question, yes, it's a bone in.
    No problems with the alarm going off when it did (I didn't think that at the time though ), it was doing its job. It was only 3 degrees here overnight, so I assume that would increase the pellet consumption a bit. I was too doughy to weigh anything then, I just wanted to get back into the nice warm bed .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!