First Hark Tri Fire Cook

• @Gumb I noticed in one of your older vids what looked like al foil at the bottom of a Hark trifire. Was this wrapped around your tuning plates?

I wasn't sure what the best way was to try and keep the Hark from drowning in Brisket fat without impeding airflow. I ended up putting three large al foil trays in the bottom of the cooking chamber on top of the grates. I think it worked ok, but it didn't feel like the best idea.

Joel

• It wasn't around the tuning plate Joel, just laying in the bottom of the pit. It still leaked fats underneath but helped keep it reasonably clean. I'd suggest you change the foil each time you cook.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Just had a search on the bunnings site and couldn't find it, maybe I just had a boy look?

Anyone got some sheet metal scrap lying around they don't want?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Have a look at this video. It explains how to set up the plates and what they do.

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Anyone have pictures of these "tuning plates" in place in the smoker? I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.

These are the ones in my old Bar Be Chef, they needed a fold down on both-sides due to the supports for the grill being different to the Hark.

• Ali alerted me to this thread the other week and I totally forgot about as I'd been off the forum. Looks like you got the hang of it though! Like Gumb I also put foil on the bottom of my Tri-Fire to aid with the cleaning but admittedly I'm not as diligent as Gumb and leave it there for a few cooks before replacing... Just depends what's been cooking and how filthy it's looking after.

I initially planned to put tuning plates in my Tri-Fire however after owning it for a couple of years I still haven't bothered. I like to use the "hot" side and the "cool" side to my advantage now during the cook and rotate my meat accordingly.

• I'm not as diligent as Gumb and leave it there for a few cooks before replacing

I'm not really that diligent and I hate cleaning BBQs but I found that if I left the foil too long it stuck to the bottom of the pit and the fats seeped through it so it didn't really do much good.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!